share rss forum feed

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

2 recommendations

[Free] BitDefender Releases Free Antivirus

Take a gander at it, currently installing now.

»www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

How is it so far?

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

said by Dustyn:

How is it so far?

By looking at the thread at wilders not so good
When you have better other options why leap?
»www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre···t=338408

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

3 recommendations

Click for full size
said by hayc59:
By looking at the thread at wilders not so good

I don't feel the need to take a look at Wilders threads or elsewhere, to me Bitdefender Free looks very promising. If you don't know I'm talking about, please check attached screenshot Bitdefender Free features and compare them with other free and/or commercial AV's.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to pizz

It does look very promising indeed. BitDefender is - and has always been - a top-notch AV product. It's definitely worth giving it a whirl.

PS: Who or what is Wilders?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Dustyn

A user mentioned here and here that Bitdefender Free requires you to remove Malwarebytes first before you can even install it. I wonder if it's requiring the removal of both versions if detected; Pro or Free.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
reply to pizz

Avira behaves in a similar way, Dustyn. It even recommends you to uninstall Spyware Blaster. However, Avira works the way it should even if you do not remove it, and it is compatible with other anti-malware software. Don't know if MBAM is also fully compatible with BitDefender.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to pizz

What may be important to some users is that the current incarnation of BD Free does not quarantine most malware it detects - it simply and immediately deletes them. Only a small part of questionable ID's are quarantined... and even these cannot be restored from within BD Free. This can create some serious problems in the case of false positives, especially on system or critical apps files. On a related note, BD Free does not currently have provision for creating exceptions... so a known false-positive file on your system will constantly be deleted if you replace it from some other source. The Wilders thread indicates BD devs are looking into some possible improvements in these areas, but the current version has the issues... just something to keep in mind before committing your system to it right now.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to pizz

I'm not a fanboy here, but I really like this product. For my system that I game on, it's ultra light. As for malwarebytes. I just uninstalled it, and reinstalled it. Noone gonna tell me remove my favorite program!!!

i'll throw an update in the security forum on how its going further etc..
--
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

2 recommendations

reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

A user mentioned here and here that Bitdefender Free requires you to remove Malwarebytes first before you can even install it. I wonder if it's requiring the removal of both versions if detected; Pro or Free.

I had the paid version earlier this year and i had to remove MBAM from my system before Bitdefender could be installed, it was something to do with Bitdefenders built in Malware protection.
--
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. (Hmm)
I have enemies? Good. That means I've stood up for something, sometime in my life.