join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom

Millenicom BYOD Advise

Hello all,

I just recently moved into an area that has basically no reliable broadband services. I have been tethering to my Verizon phone for internet. I get a very poor LTE signal if I place the phone in a window in a certain part of the house. I have purchased a USB modem (Pantech UML290) and an outdoor antenna from the 3g store, with intentions to use it with Verizon. Then, I discovered Millenicom.

Does anyone know if Millenicom supports the Pantech UML290 on their BYOD plan, and if Millenicom will provide me with the exact same coverage on Verizon's LTE network that I am getting now? Since I can get unlimited data for pretty much the same price as 10gb of Verizon data, it's a no brainer if this will work.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

I do believe that BYOD is sprint only, so no verizon device would ever work on the mcom BYOD plan.

student

join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA
reply to applerule

They can't activate your UML290, however some people on this forum talk about accessing the SIM from a Millenicom Hotspot (the older versions such as the Samsung Hotspot and the MiFi 4510 fit the UML290 perfectly, the new versions require adapters) and using it for their UML290's.

applerule

join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC

Can I purchase the Novatel hotspot that has the 20 gb cap, and move the SIM card into my pantech modem with an adapter? Is this the hotspot that is on the verizon plan?

student

join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

You understand it perfectly. They aren't going to provide technical support for it, since that isn't the intended use for the service, but as long as you know what you are doing then knock yourself out.