juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

[Anime] rewatching tenchi ova

It's been a long time since I watched it last. I just recently noticed that it was available to watch on Hulu+ on my xbox.

I also saw that Crumchyroll's app is newly available on xbox and signed up for the 30 day free trial celebrating this accomplishment.

I'll be catching up on watching anime over the holidays as much as I can.

I also queued up Sword Art Online, Hayate Combat Butler's new season and Arakawa Under the Bridge season 2.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Is that the original Tenchi series? "Tenchi Muyo! Ryoohki"? The dub of that is beyond horrendous. At the time (early/mid-90s) Pioneer had released Moldiver to VHS/LD, of which I bought both, then the DVD set later on. The dub for that was awesome, and I thought Pioneer knew what they were doing dub wise, but alas, the Tenchi dub dashed those thoughts to shreds. Kermit the frog as Tenchi doesn't impress me, nor make me want to watch it.

As for CR on 360, I hope the app there is more stable/reliable than the PS3 version. Mine crashes all the time. You can usually get through one episode before it starts to show problems.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

It's the original Tenchi Muyo! OVA that introduces everyone. They also have the Tenchi GXP, Tenchi Ryo Ohki, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi War on Geminar and Tenchi in Tokyo, Even the Sasami series.

Thankfully, every anime I've seen on the Xbox 360 Hulu Plus app thus far has been subbed. I have yet to run across any dubs.

It looks like they license funimation and anime network.

As for the Crunchyroll xbox app, it had been working perfectly but yesterday it was randomly buffering during playback of "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou". I switched over to the Hulu plus app which had the same show, and that one had no issues. i put in a trouble tcket to crunchyroll just to let them know.

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

Tenar to juilinsandar

to juilinsandar
I liked Tenchi Universe the best.

Also quit the dub bashing it's not nessisary, most of that stuff released on dvd in early 00's was both sub + dub. If you don't like one - watch the other.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by Tenar:

Also quit the dub bashing it's not nessisary, most of that stuff released on dvd in early 00's was both sub + dub. If you don't like one - watch the other.

I don't see any "dub bashing" in this thread... Also, how do you switch between dub and sub in either the Crunchyroll app or the Hulu+ app?

/M

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Tenar

Premium Member

to Tenar
said by Tenar:

I liked Tenchi Universe the best.

I enjoyed it. Haven't seen it in forever. I bought all the tapes when they were originally released. Those big honkin' clamshell cases that came with posters/cards. Ah Pioneer, I miss those extras. I still have all those tapes, and all those bonus items. Even the LDs came with inserts.
quote:
I'm guessing that was aimed at me, but if I think a dub sucks, I'm gonna call it suckage. You're free to agree or not. The series in question (Tenchi Muyo! Ryoohki OAV series) were released on VHS first, where you had to pick either dub or sub. Only the LDs at the time had both tracks. Dub, or subs through CC. I bought the subs for Tenchi, and a friend of mine bought the first tape dubbed. It sucked.

I notice you missed me praising Pioneer for the Moldiver dub too, so am I not allowed to do that either?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Ironically enough, Tenchi was one of my first animes and... this is gonna sound weird but, at the time I actually kinda liked the dub. >.>

...I don't think I could watch it today though. The dub I mean. Tenchi's great.

Tenar
Midland, ON

Tenar to captokita

to captokita
said by captokita:

..I bought the subs for Tenchi, and a friend of mine bought the first tape dubbed. It sucked.

I notice you missed me praising Pioneer for the Moldiver dub too, so am I not allowed to do that either?

I don't think the tenchi dubs were that bad I think you are being harsh to say "beyond horrendous." I don't remember it being that bad.

I'm just saying, there are FAR FAR worse dubs than that, it's not that bad.. It seems that a lot of dubs just get written off as "Oh it's the dub therefore bad"

I met the first Dub I actually couldn't get though just the other day. I wanted to check out I"s Pure after someone had mentioned it. Now THAT is a bad dub (and it isn't as old as tenchi). I can't watch that show it's probably a crappy show anyways but the dub was so bad... Compare that to tenchi and tenchi is pretty awesome.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by Tenar:

I don't think the tenchi dubs were that bad I think you are being harsh to say "beyond horrendous." I don't remember it being that bad.

Well, that's your opinion. Mine is that it's beyond horrendous. That's not to say there aren't worse ones out there, believe me, I've seen a LOT of bad dubs. I've posted the links to B.A.D. in here before, so check them out if you want some bad stuff.
quote:
I'm just saying, there are FAR FAR worse dubs than that, it's not that bad.. It seems that a lot of dubs just get written off as "Oh it's the dub therefore bad"
Certainly, they do. I started my anime watching/buying with horrible dubs, as subtitles were unknown to me at the time. Either it was raw Japanese, or a bad dub. Series like Ranma 1/2 were wonderful dubs to me. I thought VIZ did an awesome job on most of their dubs. Hell, I found issue with VIZ's subs at the time, because they were subbed so poorly. (or not at all in spots) The Ocean Group had a great group of VAs that made watching shows nice. ADV had some decent VAs as well, and were fun to hang out with at AWA too.

I've never said ALL dubs are bad. For the most part, it comes down to what I've seen first. If I see the dub first, you more easily associate the voices with dubbed ones, and vice-versa.

Tenar
Midland, ON

Tenar

said by captokita:

...For the most part, it comes down to what I've seen first. If I see the dub first, you more easily associate the voices with dubbed ones, and vice-versa....

That's mostly what I see happening as well. a lot of times a dub isn't that bad, it's just really different (everyone has different standards though). It's only recently that we start to see experienced VA's on dubs. Back in the 90's anime was still pretty rare and finding talent was a lot harder.

I always thought pioneer did well. I still think the best dub was El Hazard OVA they did. At least on par with cowboy bepop (I think it was the same dubbing company).

I was suprised at the I"s pure dub since it was put out by viz but not dubed by ocean group, I think it was a different company. It was pretty bad though, I couldn't watch 10mins of that show. Just bad acting and sound editing.