uniqs
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano
join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

KUppiano to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE

Re: QOS and Bandwidth Sharing Fairness

Thanks for the reply. I have FTP, napster, and other P2P services set to bulk, but not HTTP. Which protocols did you have in mind for the bulk rate treatment? I'd be willing to try that setting and report back if I had a better idea what the objective would be.

When Netflix is playing, I can view the charts on the DD-WRT bandwidth page. I see it flat-lined (more or less) at 3Mbps, and pretty much nothing else gets through.

The DD-WRT web console is plenty responsive, so I doubt that the processor is maxed out. The client experience for other users isn't just a two or three second delay. It takes an annoyingly long time for email messages to download when you click on them (especially IMAP). Of course, you can forget anything else that uses streaming content (YouTube or Pandora) to run at all acceptably, even if they only need a fraction of the 3Mbps. As I say, I'd appreciate if the one client could not hog all the bandwidth.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

said by KUppiano:

When Netflix is playing, I can view the charts on the DD-WRT bandwidth page. I see it flat-lined (more or less) at 3Mbps, and pretty much nothing else gets through.

That sounds a little bit like the upstream capacity may be saturated.
said by KUppiano:

As I say, I'd appreciate if the one client could not hog all the bandwidth.

I'd be tempted to cap everybody at 2.5 (or so) Mbps if that's where the problem is. That way there should always be a little bit left for the next person that does something on the network.