Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to logs

Premium Member

to logs

Re: Time to start shopping for a new isp.

said by logs :

I didint read the last 10 posts but before that many people think its a good idea to remove logs all together. Well how the hell are we going to catch criminals who hack the banks and do other dangerous things ? As soon as an ISP removes logs, all the scum will go to that ISP to do all their nasty business. Its a safety issue.

Another point is that logs are kept for the operation of the ISP in general. They have to fix problems, which have to be logged somewhere so that they can troubleshoot. It skinda common sense so forget about log removal - none of them will do it.

ISP logs are the least of your worry with hackers... most will be using multiple proxies hiding their tracks. Hackers are good at staying hidden, that's what make's them good at what they do.

Even when i was 13, i was rooting servers for fun and before i was done i'd wipe logs and hide any traces of a root except for a defaced front page of their site. Wasn't my most admirable days, i was stupid but it was fun, the learning and knowing how a system's gears turn.

I developed a root kit back in the day that was widely used... Why? because i enjoyed programming and creating a tool that tests the security of a box. I was later hired as a security analyst to preform audits on their boxes to find vulnerabilities. To this day SQL injections are the easiest way to screw with people.

All this said, an ISP keeping a log of me is least of my worry if i was a hacker. You know why?

Because hackers these days unlike when i was younger have access to wifi. If it were me doing it today, i'd be using YOUR connection to "hack banks" etc. I've said it in a previous thread, that a neighbour of mine didn't believe me that his wifi unsafe. I did it right in front of him, cracked his wifi on his patio gaining access to his entire shared network.

poster
@109.123.79.x

poster

Anon

»www.cippic.ca/sites/defa ··· ions.pdf

Good Read
swampboy
join:2012-01-24
Hamilton, ON

swampboy to Tx

to Tx
@Tx - I totally agree with your posts on this matter. It is sad to see so many are so misinformed on security issues. I'm not on Voltage's list, but I know I could easily have been so - either accidentally or through someone jumping on my network.

I have thought a lot about possible solutions for Teksavvy:

1) stop logging for all unlimited customers - it is totally unnecessary for billing purposes.
2) make all other subscribers aware that their internet usage is logged and if they don't want that - they have to move to unlimited.

This is a win-win. More money and happy customers. Teksavvy remains the good guy and builds it's reputation.

Anon4000
@swissinet.com

Anon4000

Anon

said by swampboy:

2) make all other subscribers aware that their internet usage is logged and if they don't want that - they have to move to unlimited.

This is a win-win. More money and happy customers. Teksavvy remains the good guy and builds it's reputation.

Only problem would be political. The movie industry would train it's eye on Teksavvy, ala Lord of the Rings, and bring their considerable finances and political influence to bear. I think Teksavvy understands this and that's why they are hanging customers out to dry.

It's really up to the internet population to protect themselves from these troll attacks. You are your best protection.