Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to Cartel

Re: Some Firefox Users Can Dump Adobe Flash

said by Cartel:

why is it I can play youtube videos with no flash player on version 17 already?

You might have something else handling it. VLC media player installs a firefox plugin for one. That's what I use.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm not sure whats playing it, not vlc.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
That page says you are in the youtube HTML 5 trial...so it is WebM for Fx that is playing it. You don't need plugins to play any video that youtube has converted to HTML5 when on Fx 4 and above if you have joined the trial.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
said by Mele20:

That page says you are in the youtube HTML 5 trial...so it is WebM for Fx that is playing it. You don't need plugins to play any video that youtube has converted to HTML5 when on Fx 4 and above if you have joined the trial.

Yes it says that but I'm not signed in to youtube so I think it just says that default.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by Cartel:

said by Mele20:

Yes it says that but I'm not signed in to youtube so I think it just says that default.

It didn't for me on XP Pro. But that was when it was a new beta program. Maybe it says that by default now on or other OSes? It said I wasn't enrolled and I had to decide if wanted to enroll enough to allow cookies which avoid allowing if connected to Google.

Is it really still a trial anyway? I was under the impression that youtube had converted enough videos to HTML5 that it was no longer just a beta trial...but I am not sure about that. I know before I installed Flash on Fx on this new Win 8 computer that you tube played videos for me and I wasn't signed in to the trial. So, I think if you have a browser capable of HTML 5 video and you don't have Flash installed, or have it on a toggle switch, that a youtube video that is made in or converted to HTML 5 will simply play with you doing nothing which can be irritating.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson