spc
uniqs

not
@comcast.net

not to Cody0

Anon

to Cody0

Re: Spec'ing out an iMac for my brother

Actually, NM on that. The 27" does have user accessible RAM slots. Leave it to Apple to screw over the 21" buyers...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Click for full size
No one is screwing over anyone. Even the order site at Apple.com advises customers about the RAM upgradability of the 21" model.
said by Apple :
Important note: Every 21.5-inch iMac comes with 8GB of memory built into the computer. If you think you may need 16GB of memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, because memory cannot be upgraded later in this model.
Meanwhile OS X runs great on 8GB.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

said by skeechan:

No one is screwing over anyone. Even the order site at Apple.com advises customers about the RAM upgradability of the 21" model.

said by Apple :
Important note: Every 21.5-inch iMac comes with 8GB of memory built into the computer. If you think you may need 16GB of memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, because memory cannot be upgraded later in this model.
Meanwhile OS X runs great on 8GB.

Yes they are, you are just misunderstanding what my definitions are on this matter. They are screwing people over because the 21" cannot be upgraded, but the 27" can. Are you telling me that with all their smart design people on staff they couldn't engineer the 21" to have the same memory accessibility as the 27"? Give me a break. Apple is notorious for doing small things to keep a product from being perfect.

Take the new 13" Retina MacBook. Could have been an amazing product had they pushed the envelope enough to put a dedicated video card in it similar to the 15". But they didn't and when you couple that with the limited upgradability of the flash storage on it along with the soldered RAM that's not upgradable either, you have an overpriced product that only is expensive because of the new screen. That's not enough to warrant the high price for it. To me a regular 13" is much more usable. And that too is limited a bit on the screen aspect. Why only have a 1280x800 when the 13" Airs can be configured with 1440x900? They could have easily moved the 13" Pro product line over to that same screen to improve DPI. Like I said, Apple always makes some kind of compromise on each of their products. In my opinion, it's compromises that don't need to be there, especially when you consider the already high price on the item.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

No one is getting "screwed over" by any definition. Don't like it, don't buy it. It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand.