All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie

New Nexus 7 User

I purchased my sister a Nexus 7 for Christmas - Asus.

She has never had a tablet or a smart phone and barely uses her PC.
Given all that she plays this game on her friends comp called Mummy Maze.
Forgive me for even asking such a silly question but I never came across this issue.

We head to Google Play store, search and find Mummy Maze Deluxe.
But when she attempts to pay it a warning pops up that this game has been stolen from the Google Play store.

What the heck is that about?
I never encountered that with my iPad - a stolen app or game.

I do understand the open source concept but from Google Play itself?

We immediately uninstalled it.

Question is why can something like this happen and, um, how can I find a real working Mummy Maze.
She works nights at an asphalt plant and it passes the time.

Also a bit disappointed that it only has a front facing camera but she has no real intention of taking pictures with a tablet though it might be nice if she ever understands Skype.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

I'd keep away from that app. I just tried it and I didn't the message that you did but it wouldn't quit. I had to go in to task manager to kill it. Then uninstalled it. Hopefully it's all gone. I noticed there were only 1000 d/l.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
Did you create a google account for this tablet?

Annmarie

Annmarie

We did create a Google account.
Staying away from that app.

She has been toying with it all day figuring out this and that.

Definitely different than my iPad so I am not the best helper but it does come together in a similar manner.
I taught her how to swipe pretty well.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Annmarie

MVM

to Annmarie
I have the Nexus 7 (not rooted, running Jellybean 4.2.1) and had no difficulties downloading/installing or playing Mummy Maze Deluxe.

If she ever uses Skype, the front facing camera is adequate if not stellar.

Though some might have a use for it, I have no use for a rear facing camera on a tablet. If I need point and shoot (or casual video) capability, I find my phone cam (Galaxy SII) a much more practical tool.

Annmarie

Annmarie

We quickly realized there is really no need for a front facing camera except for Skyping and such.

Same thing - here phone is fine for that. I just thought we were overlooking something incredibly obvious.

Can you post the link to Mummy Maze that is not causing an issue?

I tried it twice again from Google Play and received the warning both times.

Having never used anything smaller than a PC she is getting frustrated with the volume. It seems that music will play rather loud but movies not so much.

It will take her a couple of weeks to figure things out plus the user manual has been a big help.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

As far as I can tell, this is the only Mummy Maze Deluxe on Google Play:

»play.google.com/store/se ··· e&c=apps

I really enjoy using a tablet, and my Nexus 7 has been just great so far (2 1/2 months).

I do like my wife's 10.1" ASUS Transformer better for web surfing and such, on the other hand, I do prefer the 7" Nexus for reading books (one of my primary usages) and easy portability.

It really shines as a portable device with a book-style cover, as I am pretty picky about caring for my devices, and the book cover doubles as a stand and is ideal for using the tablet and then just tossing it in my briefcase without fear of scratching/damaging it.

BTW, there are several volume-booster apps in the Play store. I have no problem with volume for what I am doing, however, a number of Nexus 7 users have complained about insufficient volume. I have not tried any of these, so I can't recommend one over another, but it is a thought...maybe someone else here uses a volume booster and can recommend a good one?

I found that for me, it took a little while to really get the "feel" of using a tablet versus a laptop, but that with a little patience, and the understanding that a tablet although letting you do many things that you can on a laptop, is a completely different device in its own right, can be very useful.

Annmarie

Annmarie

Thank you much. Good info and advice. I think she will finally ease into the new millennium.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

PeeWee to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
Are you going to google play with browser or market app? When you go to google play to get the app. are you logged in? If you've loaded the google play app. and are properly synced you should not get that message.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to Annmarie

Mod

to Annmarie
Isn't the game free?

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· enge.mmd

Annmarie

Annmarie to PeeWee

to PeeWee
She is going into the Google Play store with the app, she is logged in and even though the game is free we received that message numerous times.
Last night when she returned to FL and settled in she tried it again with no issue.
Makes no sense to me but it installed, no warnings just playings.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I picked up a usb OTG cable from amazon a while back. It takes forever to get, because the one person I use ships it from China, but it's under 5 bucks.

eehn I nabbed the Nexus media importer app from the google play store [I think it was free], and a AVI, mpeg, mp4 media player app [I think it has AVI on the icon, and it's free].

With that, I am able to plug a USB drive, or a thumb drive into my nexus 7. So if I'm on a flight/cruise/vacation, and want to watch a few movies [and have no Internet connection ], I can access the USB drive and watch whatever I stored there. I use a 500GB usb drive, and the Nexus seems to be able to power it for quite a while. The longest I used it was 3 hours, and the battery drain didn't seem to be that much above normal.
Sure having the extra cable/drive attached to the Nexus is a pain, but it does expand storage for movies, comics, books.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
IIRC, I read a story recently that there was someone that is recompiling the apk files and reuploading the files and slightly renaming them. I forget if it was games or apps but it was definitely rogue. basically someone was posting stuff in the store as their own but adding stuff to it to do undesirable things and getting access to your device it really shouldnt be. i'll see if i can find it.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

IIRC, I read a story recently that there was someone that is recompiling the apk files and reuploading the files and slightly renaming them. I forget if it was games or apps but it was definitely rogue. basically someone was posting stuff in the store as their own but adding stuff to it to do undesirable things and getting access to your device it really shouldnt be. i'll see if i can find it.

Well that is the thing Android does that iOS does not at download.... it lists the permissions App wants....

Something that shouldn't be there for what it is don't DL it.
Anything ad supported will want net access to get them, but not that and still does be suspicious, or again other access an app shouldn't really need.

There are many apps I have not downloaded or upgraded because of that. In the case of upgrades a functrion I don't need... for the risks of the permission. And also is a long known provider or something new?

BTW on WiFi doesn't make much difference, but on cell were your data is limited as I pointed out to a Words WF phone friend looking at the data use on my tablet was amazed at how high it was for that app.... and would guess for the ads not not the game play....you might want to spend the buck or two for the free version on a family shared data plan.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
Good choice...:+)