spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

StaffyDaddy

join:2006-12-28
San Diego, CA

Recurring U-verse problems, stay or bail?

After moving into a new house I went with U-Verse for tv and internet. The installation went well, but within a week we had the red x with two dots. Phone support talked us through that, but less than a week later it happened again. This time the hard drive made clicking noises. A tech came and replaced the Motorola 1225 and the RG.

Two nights ago, the RG had flashing red light for Broadband, and we lost both tv and internet. Both came back the next morning, but three times during the day as we watched recorded content the screen went black. Resetting the DVR worked, but the last reset lost everything we had recorded.

There is a tech set to come out today, but I'm about ready to bail on U-verse. I have four days left until my one month anniversary of service, so I am still within the window of cancellation.

Customer support has been good, and we have been given numerous credits. Is it possible to negotiate an extended cancellation period? I like U-verse when it works, but to be married to such a problematic service for the next 12 months would suck.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

This is what Uverse is.

In order to beat cable on prices you agree to 3 things:

1.) Rushed horrible labor, which is mostly behind the scenes
(see number 3)

2.) Modems and STB's that go through an endless refurbish
process. Techs find bad equipment which is sent back
and then repackaged and given to another customer

3.) technology with very little tolerance for error. DSL only
works when it is installed very carefully, such as proper
twisting of all wires and carefully run jumper at the
crossbox down the street (and carefully laid down drops
as well as proper gounds) Techs are given half the time they need so guess what? They don't do any of it properly.

UverseTech2

join:2012-08-04
reply to StaffyDaddy
You should bail as fast as you can.

The Motorola DVRs are junk even when brand new, nothing like the Cisco dvrs, and you will be receiving a lot of replacements in the future. Apparently the Motorola folks give better kickbacks to the buyers, that's the only reason to put up with this level of crap.

Internet speeds not much better than dialup when comparing to cable, and you get to pay more for this.

Main connection boxes (Crossbox) are so disorganized, in all cities, it's one of the biggest causes for problems and interference. When your service goes down after no issues, this is usually another tech at the crossbox guessing which port to use.

Uverse could be a great service, but due to the management's desire for a bigger bonus, they send out techs that are nowhere near qualified, rush them, then discipline them, calling it "Positive Discipline", all because they could not complete the install or repair in the computer generated amount of time allotted.

It all comes down to poor management and the incentives ($$$$$) they are given to make their bosses look better, not about the service. The service oriented managers do not last or they just transfer to another department because greed flows uphill.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to StaffyDaddy
FWIW -- I've had it for 3+ years in SW Ohio -- it's pretty stable once they get it working, at least, it has been for me.

On the whole, I'd rather be in FiOS territory, but I think it's somewhat better than TimeWarner's offering.

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us
reply to StaffyDaddy

And this doesn't happen with cable? The answer is yes, yes it does.

I can't really answer you question about the cancellation window, but there are direct users that will probably ask you to post in the direct forum and help you.

To me it sounds like you have two issues, the DVR's drive is dying and a connection issue. With the DVR drive dying so much. Are you sure you don't have it near any magnetic sources? If you still have a CRT TV having the DVR right on top isn't a great place for it.

More people will probably be in soon to ask your more information like to run uverserealtime and post your graph.

Hope it works out for you.

StaffyDaddy

join:2006-12-28
San Diego, CA
reply to StaffyDaddy
We had two AT&T techs out the day before Christmas. They said that they switched to different pairs (?) in the house. All seemed well for 48 hours, then this morning I noticed that Internet download speeds were 1.8 mpbs. Shortly afterwards, the Broadband light on the RG started flickering red and we lost all Internet connectivity. for about 40 minutes. The uverserealtime app that I had downloaded ( »www.uvrealtime.com/ ) showed over one thousand uncorrected blocks.

My other option is Cox, so I guess I'll look into that now. The heck of it is with the exception of one AT&T phone support person in the Phillipines who was short with my wife, all the the employees have been nice and seem to be really interested in getting things right.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to Mr Anon
said by Mr Anon :

And this doesn't happen with cable?

I guess that makes it ok then.

The corporate apology logic courtesy of ATT

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us
reply to StaffyDaddy
My Motorola Boxes have been working for 4 or 5 years now, no issue. Well no we did have an issue where I though the HD was daying- ah, hard drive in this case, not High Definition. Turns out the Power cable was loose because we moved the box.

DataRiker, actually it does. The thing is, its an industry norm and there is no reason why it shouldn't happen. I do it just about every day in my services of thousands of computers. One is broken, okay I'll swap it, take the unit back to my work bench and since its modular I will replace what part is broken with known good. Test, if it passes it goes back into service.

StaffyDaddy, in the end you have to do whats right for you!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to UverseTech2
said by UverseTech2:

When your service goes down after no issues, this is usually another tech at the crossbox guessing which port to use.

SAI is passive? What "ports" are there?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

UverseTech2

A lot of techs will remove jumpers from active customers and test. I would use a port near my initial assigned to do a reverse loop length test to see how far the customer really is. Orders were not always accurate, especially in new service areas.

Some techs were just plain lost and fumbling too much knocking customers out of service accidentally, or they just plain stole that clean F2 already in use and used it as their own knowing it was already in service. This was the most common due to the lack of time given for repairs, 69 min, really. In Houston this was the fix for a lot of techs, I saw it first hand.

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits
reply to Mr Anon
So u think sending defective units back to the field is ok because you claim another provider does.

And you further compare this to sending tested and working computers back out. ( if they are working then they are not defective are they? )

Got it.

AT&T regularly sends out units with obvious defects ( like obviously over heating , but hey if it boots it ships! - well actually it doesn't even have to boot. I'm sure uverse tech can back me up with the obviously recycled units that won't even power up......)

Absolutely pathetic.

UverseTech2

DataRiker is correct about the Motorola 1216 and 1225 shipped DOA, one customer watched me go thru 3 bad 1225s before finding a good one. I have to say the 2250s feel and act like the Cisco dvrs they even have the similar black case, and they almost always worked. It would not surprise me if these were OEM Cisco boxes.

I had a habit of replacing all 3800's with 3801's in the field when on repairs, and one in particular had the SSID 2WIRE666 which I removed from a residence in Katy,TX this January due to an intermittent wifi issue. The ipad was great at remembering the wifi keys, so when I was doing an install in Irving 5 months later all they had were the 3800 and I inadvertently grabbed this same unit. I would have never know but as soon as it booted my wifi was connected and then I remembered this box from earlier in the year. I then removed this unit and made sure nobody else would ever use it.

This I know was a one in a million chance but it really confirmed the blind input and output of returned equipment.

This whole issue with defective units returning to the field was due to the inexperienced or lazy techs just swapping out perfectly good gear causing the refurb dept to ignore things.

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us
reply to DataRiker
Here is the thing. Your first post was to just make it seem like its a front, a scam of a service and you made three statements.

You made it seem like no other company does this, like they all open brand new boxes from an endless free supply of new hardware. Knowing that Refurbishing equipment is a perfectly fine process that this and many other service industries use I said something about it.
Now if you had said that they just recycle equipment without checking, that is a possibility but couldn't be a policy.

The only thing I can point to is that I've had Motorola boxes for 4 or 5 years now with no issue and a buddy of mine hasn't had an issue with his that he had for about a year and a half. I did have to have my RG replaced and then the first 3801 died but I noticed that the tech failed to replace the power brick from the 3800, the third was a self replace and its been just fine *knocks on simulated wood MDF*

shoyuu

join:2012-12-27
reply to StaffyDaddy
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would post in the sub forum and see if someone (AT&T employee) on this board responds and helps out.

For what it's worth, I've had UVerse for over 3 years at my current residence and I can count on one hand the number of outages or problems I've experienced. It has been solid for me so far. Knock on wood since I will be moving to a new address and taking my Uverse with me.
Expand your moderator at work

DataRiker
Premium
reply to UverseTech2

Re: Recurring U-verse problems, stay or bail?

said by UverseTech2:

I had a habit of replacing all 3800's with 3801's in the field

Don't even get me started on 3600's. I don't even use them anymore, nobody has said anything yet...

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
My experience with the 3600HG-V is that it has superior internet performance to both the 3800 and 3801. I seriously believe it to be a firmware issue where not enough bandwidth gets allocated to the internet portion, both when the TV is on and off.

I need to get a hold of a motorola 2310 and do some comparisons.

Athos

@sbcglobal.net
reply to DataRiker
"Don't even get me started on 3600's. I don't even use them anymore, nobody has said anything yet..."

My 3600 has been running without problems for two years now. Is it possibly an installer problem on your end?

DataRiker
Premium

2 edits
No. They have had two recalls for defective wireless, are the most common DOA, and do not perform well after 2200 ft.

Also ATT recommends the 3801 for marginal installs. ( I'm sure Uverse tech can once again back this up; see this way too many times with my own eyes to doubt ATT's advice on this one)

I've had way to many defective 3600's to justify using them. The main culprit is the wireless though, 2 recalls and we have been warned they are still being drop shipped.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to StaffyDaddy
We had U-Verse TV for about a year. During that time we had techs out about every other month trying to diagnose problems with pixelation, freezing pictures, and boxes not connecting. They replaced all the boxes, RG, and some of the wiring more than once. We finally got fed up with it and went back to DirecTV and couldn't be happier. At my other house I have FIOS and love it. It is so much faster and I have never had any of these kinds of problems with it.

UverseTech2

reply to DataRiker
Once again this is a very accurate assessment, so accurate I never installed a 3600, even on the self installs that I went into the premises to do a quick install knowing that if I did not it would never work. I would swap the 3600 they received in the mail with a 3801.
Everybody possible received the 3801. I would only use a 3800 on the FTTP installs because they were nothing more than a switch on these, and I had to save the 3801 for everyone not on fiber.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1
reply to StaffyDaddy
I like U-Verse because of cheap TV prices. You just got to get used to it.