join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Tom's Updated CPU Hierarchy

»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu···370.html

Gaming comparisons start here:

»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu···-16.html
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
It's nice that the FX-8350 is only 3.5% behind the i5-3570K in the 3D Mark 11 combined score now.

Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
reply to Krisnatharok
I was about to purchase the FX-8350. Should I?

Intel is so expensive.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
FX-8350 = $210 @ Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19113284

There are four Ivy Bridge CPUs around that pricepoint, and they are all very close to / better than the AMD:

i5-3330 = $190 @ Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116781

i5-3450 = $195 @ Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116506

i5-3550 = $210 @ Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116505

i5-3570K = $220 @ Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504

The only one that offers a decisive advantage is the top one, where the K stands for an unlocked modifier, allowing for a massive, easily-accomplished overclock.

So Intel is not "so expensive." Buy what makes you happy.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
reply to Krisnatharok
Well if I get Intel, I would like to get an i7. What is the best i7?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Zionikk:

Well if I get Intel, I would like to get an i7.

Why? What are you going to be using the computer for? What makes you think you need the i7 over the i5?
--

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Well first of all I want something that I won't have to upgrade for awhile.

Also, things like media arts, graphics design, 3D Animation and web design. I'll be using many applications at once like Photoshop, Sony Vegas, After Effects, Cinema 4D, 3DS Max. A lot of rendering will be involved.

Streaming video and playing games at max settings.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The i5-3570k is the best chip for gaming, period. As you can see from the second link in the OP, the 3570K is absolutely the best gaming CPU on the market right now.

If you are a graphics designer, then you will need to shell out an extra $100 for the hyperthreading (which actually detracts slightly from gaming performance).

But for "playing games at max settings," the i5-3570K is the best chip money can buy.
--

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Looks like that will probably be my option then. What would you recommend for my motherboard?

I was thinking the Z77.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Z77 is the go-to chipset for this iteration, as it allows OC + connectivity. I don't keep all the H and B series straight, as all I consider for gaming is the Z-series. Z68 is for Sandy Bridge, and may be compatible with Ivy Bridge with a BIOS/UEFI update, but really go for Z77.

I would go for a good Asrock, Asus, or EVGA board (personal pref), but MSI and Gigabyte are good options as well.

Props if you get a Thunderbolt board.
--

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Considering everything you just told me, would it be a good idea to just buy this?

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund···.1097447

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The HDD is junk. Buy the other stuff separately--maybe a slightly larger case like the Rosewill Challenger or CM Storm--and pick up a Western Digital Caviar Black as a data drive.
--

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
The case that I had personally picked out was the Themaltake Overseer RX-I.

But I'll check out the Caviar Black. I never purchased PC hardware before, so I'm trying to get all this tech stuff figured out.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok
AnandTech CPU Bench
AMD FX-8350 vs. Intel i5-3570K
»www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

Ignorant

@comcastbusiness.net
FWIW, I just bought an AMD FX-8120 / Radeon 7770 system - see the AMD v i-CORE thread. I'll be using it for a variety of applications, but I specifically wanted something to upgrade my WoW playing experience from my obsolete T4200 based laptop, on which I was getting single digit framerates on lowest quality rendering, and which was virtually unplayable in 25 man raids. It arrived last week, but I didn't have a chance to get it set up until yesterday.

The total Black Friday hardware price (i.e. deducting about $100 for the OS) was about $650, and that was with the mistake of buying an unneeded sound card. It is not (yet) overclocked. I considered cancelling the order and going with an intel based system, but I would have lost the Black Friday pricing, so an i-3220 system would have been about $100 more expensive, even without the unnecessary sound card. Without the Black Friday pricing, the i3-3220 system would have been about $50 more expensive. The i5 and i7 based systems would have been $100+ more expensive.

Trying it out yesterday on 1600 x 900 ultra resolution, I was getting a very playable 50-75 fps on solo play, and about 25-30 fps in LFR. It's a small sample, but there's no reason to believe it won't be typical. The 8150 benchmarks significantly better than the 8120, so it should perform better than my system. The AMD chips certainly will not future-proof; but if $100-$200 is a budget buster, I'd have to say from my experience that the AMD systems are a reasonable way to go. However, if you're looking for better framerates that I'm getting, then the intels are probably the way to go.