Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KWguy

join:2003-07-13
Waterloo, ON

[Internet] Customer owned Motorola SGB6580 not getting Lightning

I'm in Sun City Center Fl.

Had my brand new customer owned Motorola SBG6580 installed today through a Bright house service request. After the mac address was registered on the network I can only get 10MB down and 1MB up.

Switched back to Bright House rental (SBG6580), switched mac address and instantly received 46MB down and 6MB up.

Customer service says they do not support customer owned modem and can not help me.

Wondering what I can do to get my customer owned modem to work at the same lightning speeds as the rental?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153

Re: [Internet] Customer owned Motorola SGB6580 not getting Light

I know exactly what is wrong...please open a direct forums thread and include your new modem MAC address and current IP address.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
I do have another question...where did you get the 6580 They aren't retail devices.

KWguy

Waterloo, ON
reply to BHNtechXpert
Will do.

KWguy

Waterloo, ON
reply to BHNtechXpert
I bought it from the Internet on Amazon.com. It came from a place called Extreme Video.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
Just as soon as you get me the info I'm on it..

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
OKay I am working on your mdm now... when your current mdm goes offline please reconnect your new modem and it will be working

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
Okay you are fixed please attach the new modem.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
OKay just checked and your modem is working fine now...have a Merry Christmas!

KWguy

Waterloo, ON
Click for full size
Working great. Thank you. See attached
Have a Merry Christmas too!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
You are very welcome....well I am off for a few hours. I just spoke with William...

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

I do have another question...where did you get the 6580 They aren't retail devices.

Gary lol newegg has had SBG6580 in stock for awhile now
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25122014

I hate Modem/Router Combos I'm still very pleased with my SB6141

--
Bakersfield Region Taft CA Brighthouse Customer Since 2003

regularjoe

join:2012-11-11
reply to KWguy
You should remove your IP from that screenshot.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
The IP is honestly useless...he's behind a firewall and unless he lets someone in they aren't getting in.

regularjoe

Hehe. If you say so.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by regularjoe:

Hehe. If you say so.

I know so...tell ya what...you let me know and I'll set up a test for you to play with....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

regularjoe

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by regularjoe:

Hehe. If you say so.

I know so...tell ya what...you let me know and I'll set up a test for you to play with....

No, the reason I say this it is not because anyone will get in to his computer and delete the notes on the fridge. It is because, it you are making reference to the software firewall on his modem/gateway, well they are very weak and a simple buffer bloat DDoS will get him offline quick.

It is not about me pretending being something or someone, just some basic common sense.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
He is of no interest to someone with the skills or pipe to do that and his IP can be changed in a heartbeat....problem solved....like I said....a non issue...

regularjoe

1 edit
Deleted Post.

Have a Merry Christmas anyways, Your dedication to us is outstanding I do thank you for that.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KWguy
You too and please understand I'm fully aware of what people can and sometimes do but most people with those skills spend the time on far more worthy targets. This isn't IRC where people are bored and looking for trouble anyway just to be an ass.

While someone could DDOS him that doesn't do much beyond impede his ability to get online for a bit until we deal with it or the attacker gets bored....nothing is compromised as they aren't physically connecting to anything but the gateway...good luck getting beyond that without an "invite" in. In the past where the modems were effectively nothing more than a bridge and your computer connected directly to the outside world...yes...thats a bit more of a concern...in his case like I said...purely a non-issue.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~