share rss forum feed

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to rtcy

Re: Cost of light bulbs (Bye-bye T-12)

Where can I get those LED conversion kits at. I don't see them stocked at Lowes Depot.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to rtcy

said by rtcy:

whole house is LED and it cut my bill by 67.00 a month

Let's see 67.00 cut for me would represent about 670 kWh. About 1/2 of my total usage. I wish

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by rtcy:

Let's see 67.00 cut for me would represent about 670 kWh. About 1/2 of my total usage. I wish

I was thinking the same thing. It be about 470 for me
About a third.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

said by SparkChaser:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by rtcy:

I was thinking the same thing. It be about 470 for me
About a third.

so are you implying that I do not use 3500kw a month? cause I could ask you to pay my 700.00 dollar bill

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Did you convert existing fixtures? What product did you use?

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

it's been over a year , so I do not recall, but I got them on the web, that was 3 units that were that type, the rest of the house consists of 50% are built in cones into the roof ans the rest are trac lighting with big bullets using the latest cree flood type bulbs.

I'm not here to push anything, just wanted to make a point about researching stuff yourselves, the internet makes it easy, it's the decisions that are the problem.
will it return the investment in time for you? for me the answer is yes, keep in mind that the early ones were less than great and we returned many to Lights of America for a free warranty replacement, since then we've moved on to the cree led's , they last longer before they start to go dim (5 to 8 years supposedly) oh led's don't usually burn out they just go dim (sounds like MacArthur's remarks)

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to nunya

I have a bunch (like 8) lamps that use starters. Does that mean bulbs are going to be hard to come by then?

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to rtcy

said by rtcy:

so are you implying that I do not use 3500kw a month? cause I could ask you to pay my 700.00 dollar bill

Damn! I can't imagine a $700 electric bill on a house. Our gas and electric is not even $250 a month!

Glad I don't live on CA!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to sk1939

Most "popular" T12 lamps were banned in July of this year. As stock dwindles down, prices will skyrocket.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by rtcy:

Damn! I can't imagine a $700 electric bill on a house. Our gas and electric is not even $250 a month!

Glad I don't live on CA!

He probably lives in Southern California where you run the central A/C 24/7/365 and the nation's highest electric rates behind Hawaii. Hawaii and Puerto Rico have the highest electric rates in the nation because they are islands and the utilities there have to self generate 100 percent of their electric grid capacity because they cannot buy electricity from neighboring utilities like they can in the Continental US. Alaska must be high as well due to the remote nature of their villages.

Massachusetts has high electric rates but it is not as bad as it can get (I heard Connecticut is higher). Iowa has cheap electric rates (two bedroom ranch with gas heat costs about $50 per month for electric).

As for the T-12, if it knocks down my WMECo bill, I'll convert them to T-8. I just replaced the CFL in my bedroom with an LED bulb that I got for $4.99 at Big Y after an instant rebate from MassSaves. WMECo isn't the cheapest utility but not bad like the utility that rtcy See Profile mentions.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Most "popular" T12 lamps were banned in July of this year. As stock dwindles down, prices will skyrocket.

That settles it. I'm pulling my money out of IRAs and putting it in T12s. Thanks for the tip!
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to nunya

Damn. I should have stocked up on 'kitchen & bath' F40T12 lamps. I buy four every 10 years.

OK, seriously, I have a fixture in the kitchen with four 4-foot F40T12 tubes. I guess that's 160 Watts for the tubes, plus whatever is lost in the ballast. How much power would an equivalent four-tube T8 with programmed start ballast use?

EDIT: I want to keep the same fixture.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

The typical 4ft long T-8 bulb has 32W but there are high-output variants that use as much as 44W (compatible with T-12 ballasts) and economy variants that use as little as 28W.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to Bob4

T8's generally have a higher lumen per watt output than a T12.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

said by itguy05:

said by rtcy:

Glad I don't live on CA!

He probably lives in Southern California where you run the central A/C 24/7/365 and the nation's highest electric rates behind Hawaii. Hawaii and Puerto Rico have the highest electric rates in the nation because they are islands and the utilities there have to self generate 100 percent of their electric grid capacity because they cannot buy electricity from neighboring utilities like they can in the Continental US. Alaska must be high as well due to the remote nature of their villages.

Massachusetts has high electric rates but it is not as bad as it can get (I heard Connecticut is higher). Iowa has cheap electric rates (two bedroom ranch with gas heat costs about $50 per month for electric).

As for the T-12, if it knocks down my WMECo bill, I'll convert them to T-8. I just replaced the CFL in my bedroom with an LED bulb that I got for $4.99 at Big Y after an instant rebate from MassSaves. WMECo isn't the cheapest utility but not bad like the utility that rtcy See Profile mentions.

yes I do live in the Los Angeles County area. and I go into tier 5 regularly. that's the bend over and take it California from Bush senior and his buddy that killed himself at Enron.

I best not start that conversation of what happened to smart and common sense in this country. bad boy!!!!! but no worries in 6 months more when we forget japan's nuklelar as junior says it, we will all have those atomic pop corn makers you see in the future ads from the 50's, so Hawaii and Puerto Rico can crank up a couple of those concrete tities and make cheap electricity.