how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi On Sale for $19.99

Gees, has the price dropped to a rock bottom on these?
19.99 - - $80 off.

the Novatel USB stick is 9.99

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
I have the MC760 and it's worked well for a couple years, but I'm wondering if I should buy one of these as a backup, in case it fails.

Why might one buy the Mi-Fi over the MC760, or vice-versa? At this early hour my brain's not working--I need help!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna
well, the MC760 would have to be inserted into the USB port on a laptop or desktop. in addition, that pc would probably have to be close to a window or in the direction here the device is receiving a signal from the tower.

the mi-fi does not have to be plugged into the pc. Its a wireless device... You could sit this device in the window to get better reception from the tower, and connect to it just like you do wi-fi.
In addition, you can connect several devices to the mi-fi at once. now the more devices you connect, the more the speed degrades.

I actually did think about buying one as a backup for $19.99

laserfan

Texas
said by compuguybna:

the mi-fi does not have to be plugged into the pc. Its a wireless device... You could sit this device in the window...

Thanks *a lot*, I completely missed that!

I thought it plugged-into a USB port with a cable! You're right about the MC760 of course--the way I use it now is connected to a roof-mount antenna. Then when I travel I pull-it and carry it with me (and sometimes suffer for the "not-good positioning" aspect of it).

I will have to think some more on this--I don't suppose I can use my current (old, legacy $40/mo, grandfathered) plan with another device except for a failure...but maybe it would be good to buy both anyway--the MC760 to back-up my current aging MC760, and the Mi-Fi for the rare occasions I travel (and then I'd buy service "by the drink").

Does this seem reasonable to you?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna
for occassional use, They have a daily plan now. I think its $5.
as long as you add money once a year its still active.

I don't think you'd be grandfathered on the mifi.

If you currently have a MC760 and yours went out, and this one was on the grandfathered, you could PROBABLY keep the plan, as another MC760 would just be a "replacement".

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

I thought it plugged-into a USB port with a cable! You're right about the MC760 of course--the way I use it now is connected to a roof-mount antenna. Then when I travel I pull-it and carry it with me (and sometimes suffer for the "not-good positioning" aspect of it).

Just for your information the mifi that VM sells *CAN* be used as a modem when plugged in via USB... cradlepoint routers and your PC will treat it like a usb modem.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

I don't think you'd be grandfathered on the mifi.

You Would! I switched out a Overdrive for a Mifi and it kept my grandfathered plan, as long as it's a BB2G device it should swap out with no issues. (the overdrive or U600 will tell you you dont have access for 4GWimax on the grandfathered plans, but otherwise it will work).

It's the account, not the device.

laserfan

Texas

1 recommendation

Well it just keeps getting better. For $30 bucks I can buy both and just leave them in their packaging until I have to make a trip, or my MC760 dies. The only risk is that they might be DOA and past the warranty date, whatever that is.

I'm all in. Thanks to cgb for the heads-up.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna
Well, dib22, you seem to be the resident expert on VM!

I'll let you take over with the answers.

Hey, what do I know? I just popped over here to tell everyone about the price drop.......

laserfan

Texas
said by compuguybna:

I just popped over here to tell everyone about the price drop.......

I wonder how you came across it--I might've guessed VM would advise their client base of sales like this, but I never get emails from them except for Ts&Cs-type stuff.

Worse, when I put the two gizmos in my Shopping Cart and tried to Checkout, the site did not accept my normal BB2G account login credentials. I used PayPal to check-out instead. Bizarre.

Thanks again for the tip; I love cheap insurance like this.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna
I just picked up a Mi-Fi tonight online. I figured for $19.99 it would be a backup device.

laserfan

Texas
My gizmos arrived today already FedEx Home Sat. delivery!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
Really? How long from order to arrival? Mine still shows PENDING after ordering Friday

said by laserfan:

My gizmos arrived today already FedEx Home Sat. delivery!

laserfan

Texas
I ordered online Xmas day.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna

not too bad. Usually ranges about 600kpbs

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna
bought the $5 1 day 200mb package to try it out.

I got close to 318MB before the online counter caught up. (I stayed connected almost 3 hours continuously towards the end).

When it reaches ZERO, it just redirects you back to the VM payment page.

Not bad for a backup plan.

I think I read the account stays active as long as you add money once a year. Anyone confirm this?

laserfan

Texas
said by compuguybna:

bought the $5 1 day 200mb package to try it out...
I think I read the account stays active as long as you add money once a year. Anyone confirm this?

Dunno myself, I'll bet dib22 will though.

An ancillary question: do multiple BB2G devices require multiple VM accounts? It appears that way, or at least I don't see a way to add a device to my existing account.

I didn't even know you could buy a "1 day package", thanks for telling.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
the "one day" package lasts for 24 hours, is only 3G, is good for 200MB of data, and is $5.

I managed to squeeze ~300mb before the online counter caught up. then it just re-directs back to the payment page.

I can CONFIRM, service is active for ONE YEAR, Just add money to the account and apply it to plan before the expiration date on your account.

said by laserfan:

said by compuguybna:

bought the $5 1 day 200mb package to try it out...

Dunno myself, I'll bet dib22 will though.

An ancillary question: do multiple BB2G devices require multiple VM accounts? It appears that way, or at least I don't see a way to add a device to my existing account.

I didn't even know you could buy a "1 day package", thanks for telling.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna
VM account screen.

If you have WIMAX from Sprint in your area, you can grab up to about 500MB of usage with the 1 day, $5 plan. 4G usage is not logged, just 3G.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

You can flip devices on the same account by going to

»virginmobileusa.com/activate

and selecting "I'm a current customer and I want to swap Virgin Mobile phones"

That will keep you from having to create a new account for each device.

From experience don't do this last minute... Sprints systems are notorious for slowing down when you need it done fast

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

The only risk is that they might be DOA and past the warranty date, whatever that is.

12 months.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

VM account screen.

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB then terminate plan.

I have not seen that on my account screen!

laserfan

Texas
said by dib22:

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB

I don't have that either. I have:

$40/UL/1M (yeah I'm an early adopter who's hung-in with BB2G)
$55/5GB/1M
$5/200MB/1D
$35/2GB/1M

Tx for the acct info. Yeah I will keep my new MC760VM as a spare to backup the one I'm using now, with my current account.

I will try the MiFi for short-term use, and will have to set-up a new account for that then unfortunately.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to dib22
I don't have anything to compare to, as this is the first account screen I've had with this device. I'll probably just use the the $5 daily or the $20 for 1GB. This is just a backup device for when my Charter 30mbps HSI goes out.

said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

VM account screen.

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB then terminate plan.

I have not seen that on my account screen!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna

WalMart's Internet on the go by truconnect competion

Click for full size
Wal-Marts Internet on the go by truconnect is definately offering some attractive plans versus the VM ones.

PLUS you get a FREE 3GB refill after your first load.

laserfan

Texas
Too bad but it seems you have to buy WM's device (which looks just like VM's MiFi?).

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
Yeah, I did some more research. Its the EXACT same Mi-Fi 2200. I would imagine that its got a different firmware, but it is the same device. Its actually marketed by truconnect.com, which is a divison of Telscape Communications (MVNO).

the thing I like about their packages are the "USE WHENEVER" packages, which last for 1 year until you use them up, and the fact that they give you a 3GB bonus package after you add your first $10.

there are NO monthly fees (versus $4.99 a month for the same truconnect device).

the device is $78 though. Amazing that VM sells the device for $20, so pretty well washes itself out because of the extra cost if you have a VM device and you rarely use it.

said by laserfan:

Too bad but it seems you have to buy WM's device (which looks just like VM's MiFi?).

laserfan

Texas
said by compuguybna:

Its the EXACT same Mi-Fi 2200. I would imagine that its got a different firmware, but it is the same device. Its actually marketed by truconnect.com, which is a divison of Telscape Communications (MVNO).

Except that I've never seen any firmware updates for at least the MC760VM (dunno about the MiFi) it might be fun to try to flash the MiFi with the TruConnect...

Anyway I'm glad I have both of these on hand now.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna

Re: Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi On Sale for $19.99

A friend of mine got one of the WalMart InternetontheGO devices.
Curious about if they had the same quallity of service, i tested both of them out.

first of all, the seem to route differently thru the Sprint network.

On the VM device, it connects as

1234567890@connect.vmobl.com (before the @ is the actual phone # of the device on the network).

on the WalMart device, it connects as

1234567890@primus.sprintpcs.com

Obviously, the VM device is being routed thru a different domain.
Once connected though, it does say its on the SPRINT network.
It doesn't appear to have the connect point (HA) everytime.

the WALMART device appears to connect directly to the sprint network, and does state its on the SPRINT network, but in Overland Park, KS. (i guess this is the way the HA is set in the device).

the VM device connects slow, on about 5 speedtests, I only got about 250kbps, and ping was about 325ms.

The WALMART device connected a little faster, peaked at 980kbps, and never fell below 360kbps. Http requests were a bit quicker on the WalMart device...Its thru a MVNO called truconnect which is owned by Telscape Communications.

SO, overall, I believe the WALMART version seems to be a little quicker, and less laggy.

Which more or less proves that the VM label receives a lower QOS and different routing which might explain the slower speeds, higher ping, and slow page draws.

I do seem to like the "never expires" version of the Wal-Mart device.

Obviously, the walmart device is $70+, and the VM device can be had for $20 right now..

Decisions, Decisions.

But hey, I thought I'd so a comparison on the two.

laserfan

Texas
Thanks for that. One very odd problem I've had with VM is that I can't reliably Send emails using godaddy's secureserver.net email service. Something about VM routing thru Spamhaus, but nothing I've been able to get VM to pay attention to.

So I've long suspected VM is doing something funky with their routing (or Sprint is sticking it to VM, one or t'other).

said by compuguybna:

A friend of mine got one of the WalMart InternetontheGO devices.
Curious about if they had the same quallity of service, i tested both of them out....I believe the WALMART version seems to be a little quicker, and less laggy...