uniqs
share rss forum feed

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to laserfan

Re: Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi On Sale for $19.99

said by laserfan:

The only risk is that they might be DOA and past the warranty date, whatever that is.

12 months.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

VM account screen.

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB then terminate plan.

I have not seen that on my account screen!

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

said by dib22:

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB

I don't have that either. I have:

$40/UL/1M (yeah I'm an early adopter who's hung-in with BB2G)
$55/5GB/1M
$5/200MB/1D
$35/2GB/1M

Tx for the acct info. Yeah I will keep my new MC760VM as a spare to backup the one I'm using now, with my current account.

I will try the MiFi for short-term use, and will have to set-up a new account for that then unfortunately.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to dib22

I don't have anything to compare to, as this is the first account screen I've had with this device. I'll probably just use the the $5 daily or the $20 for 1GB. This is just a backup device for when my Charter 30mbps HSI goes out.

said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

VM account screen.

It is wild that you have a $120 for 6GB then terminate plan.

I have not seen that on my account screen!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna

WalMart's Internet on the go by truconnect competion

Click for full size
Wal-Marts Internet on the go by truconnect is definately offering some attractive plans versus the VM ones.

PLUS you get a FREE 3GB refill after your first load.

laserfan

Texas

Too bad but it seems you have to buy WM's device (which looks just like VM's MiFi?).

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Yeah, I did some more research. Its the EXACT same Mi-Fi 2200. I would imagine that its got a different firmware, but it is the same device. Its actually marketed by truconnect.com, which is a divison of Telscape Communications (MVNO).

the thing I like about their packages are the "USE WHENEVER" packages, which last for 1 year until you use them up, and the fact that they give you a 3GB bonus package after you add your first $10.

there are NO monthly fees (versus $4.99 a month for the same truconnect device).

the device is $78 though. Amazing that VM sells the device for $20, so pretty well washes itself out because of the extra cost if you have a VM device and you rarely use it.

said by laserfan:

Too bad but it seems you have to buy WM's device (which looks just like VM's MiFi?).

laserfan

Texas

said by compuguybna:

Its the EXACT same Mi-Fi 2200. I would imagine that its got a different firmware, but it is the same device. Its actually marketed by truconnect.com, which is a divison of Telscape Communications (MVNO).

Except that I've never seen any firmware updates for at least the MC760VM (dunno about the MiFi) it might be fun to try to flash the MiFi with the TruConnect...

Anyway I'm glad I have both of these on hand now.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to compuguybna

Re: Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi On Sale for $19.99

A friend of mine got one of the WalMart InternetontheGO devices.
Curious about if they had the same quallity of service, i tested both of them out.

first of all, the seem to route differently thru the Sprint network.

On the VM device, it connects as

1234567890@connect.vmobl.com (before the @ is the actual phone # of the device on the network).

on the WalMart device, it connects as

1234567890@primus.sprintpcs.com

Obviously, the VM device is being routed thru a different domain.
Once connected though, it does say its on the SPRINT network.
It doesn't appear to have the connect point (HA) everytime.

the WALMART device appears to connect directly to the sprint network, and does state its on the SPRINT network, but in Overland Park, KS. (i guess this is the way the HA is set in the device).

the VM device connects slow, on about 5 speedtests, I only got about 250kbps, and ping was about 325ms.

The WALMART device connected a little faster, peaked at 980kbps, and never fell below 360kbps. Http requests were a bit quicker on the WalMart device...Its thru a MVNO called truconnect which is owned by Telscape Communications.

SO, overall, I believe the WALMART version seems to be a little quicker, and less laggy.

Which more or less proves that the VM label receives a lower QOS and different routing which might explain the slower speeds, higher ping, and slow page draws.

I do seem to like the "never expires" version of the Wal-Mart device.

Obviously, the walmart device is $70+, and the VM device can be had for $20 right now..

Decisions, Decisions.

But hey, I thought I'd so a comparison on the two.

laserfan

Texas

Thanks for that. One very odd problem I've had with VM is that I can't reliably Send emails using godaddy's secureserver.net email service. Something about VM routing thru Spamhaus, but nothing I've been able to get VM to pay attention to.

So I've long suspected VM is doing something funky with their routing (or Sprint is sticking it to VM, one or t'other).

said by compuguybna:

A friend of mine got one of the WalMart InternetontheGO devices.
Curious about if they had the same quallity of service, i tested both of them out....I believe the WALMART version seems to be a little quicker, and less laggy...

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna

VM clearanced out the MC760 for 9.99.

Guess its worth a backup.

Wal-Mart discontinued the "internet on the go" device (mifi2200 on Sprint). that didn't last long....