Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SweetNoob

@optonline.net

Microsoft bing

so i decided to use the search engine...i typed in a forum i used to frewquent and i clicked it...instead or me ending up at the forum i was redirected to some weird polish site....

i typed the forum in google and i ended up at the forum....

i don't have malware because i formatted 1 week ago....

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:12
What was the exact search term you typed into Microsoft Bing to produce your search results? I would like to try to reproduce this myself. What did you search for and what is the name of the forum?

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob
okay i typed in myg0t and it's the 3rd result

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

1 edit
Click for full size
When I use the Bing search engine with Firefox l7.0.1 and click on the third link I get this. Looks like they are redoing the site for whatever reason. Gets to 97.74.244.25 in 7 hops. Virus total URL scanner is too busy to check history this morning.

Edit: Is this what you are looking for: »irc.mygot.com/

Avnsec

@verizon.net
reply to SweetNoob
well if you went to the forum yesterday and today it shows a message...there is a good chance the admin of the site is responsible.

It could have been a cross site scripting attack.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
i didn't think of that...it could have been cross site scripting.

i tried to replicate what happened today but to no avail....weird.

reply to SweetNoob
This isnt the first time i've experienced something happen like that of this nature.

Couple of months ago i was on google researching some info....i clicked the google result...instead of ending up at the correct website....this little pop up happened.

i typed in the url normally and the website showed up.

This also occurred in google before.

reply to SweetNoob
upon further research i discovered

Almost two of every three malicious redirects in major search engines are found on Bing,

»searchengineland.com/stu ··· h-135730

Hahaha thanks once again microsoft

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Click for full size
This is where I was taken to, third result down on the Bing search engine. Is this the right page? All seems normal.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob
also i don't think it was a polish site the url ended with a .pl and was asking for some plugin to be installed. my guess is it was some perl script....

reply to SweetNoob
yes it's correct. but on bing i clicked »forums.myg0t.com/ - apparently today the site admin removed the forums for upgrading.

It could've been the webmaster of the site. because after that i typed in myg0t.com and i was also redirected to a random site.

I closed my browser and clicked it from google and went to the forums yesterday all loaded fine.

Today i tried to replicate but they changed the index of the homepage

i have obsessive compulsive disorder...so because i could not replicate the error i am not sure if it was bing that caused it or the webmaster.

Anyway it's not important.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:14
reply to SweetNoob

Hmm i wonder if they fixed the issue,i clicked the third result and when right to the page w/bing.. (Saying they were updating)

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

Re: Microsoft bing

i just don't understand how after the first redirect i typed the url into my browser and was redirected again. after i closed the browser and typed it into google finally i reached the site

this was a clean install of win 7....sigh

reply to SweetNoob
I concluded my dns cache was probably poisoned.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to SweetNoob
I really think that this is a sign that you should stop cheating at online games.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
hah

anyway i have also discovered

Manipulation by ISPs

A number of consumer ISPs such as OpenDNS,[2] Cablevision's Optimum Online,[3] Comcast,[4] Time Warner, Cox Communications, RCN,[5] Rogers,[6] Charter Communications, Verizon, Virgin Media, Frontier Communications, Bell Sympatico,[7] UPC,[8] T-Online,[9] Optus,[10] Mediacom,[11] ONO,[12] TalkTalk[13] and Bigpond (Telstra)[14][15][16][17] use DNS hijacking for their own purposes, such as displaying advertisements[18] or collecting statistics. This practice violates the RFC standard for DNS (NXDOMAIN) responses,[19] and can potentially open users to cross-site scripting attack

reply to SweetNoob
anyone know of any "Safe" alternative dns servers to use?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

»DNS Servers
»www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
The tool will help find the fastest DNS server and will show if it uses any type of redirection.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob
also i don't know if it was a drive by download, i formatted with dariks boot and nuke on quick and only reached 30 percent...did this clear the mbr?

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TELUS
·Shaw
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to SweetNoob
said by SweetNoob :

This isnt the first time i've experienced something happen like that of this nature.

Couple of months ago i was on google researching some info....i clicked the google result...instead of ending up at the correct website....this little pop up happened.

i typed in the url normally and the website showed up.

This also occurred in google before.

perform some action alright.......Get Firefox immediately.
I hope you didn't click the X or OK or anything on that pop-up.

Cartel
reply to SweetNoob
said by SweetNoob :

also i don't know if it was a drive by download, i formatted with dariks boot and nuke on quick and only reached 30 percent...did this clear the mbr?

what happened at 30%?

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4
reply to SweetNoob
said by SweetNoob :

i don't have malware because i formatted 1 week ago....

Quote of the year!
Expand your moderator at work