spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SweetNoob

@optonline.net

Microsoft bing

so i decided to use the search engine...i typed in a forum i used to frewquent and i clicked it...instead or me ending up at the forum i was redirected to some weird polish site....

i typed the forum in google and i ended up at the forum....

i don't have malware because i formatted 1 week ago....

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

What was the exact search term you typed into Microsoft Bing to produce your search results? I would like to try to reproduce this myself. What did you search for and what is the name of the forum?

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

okay i typed in myg0t and it's the 3rd result

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

1 edit

Click for full size
When I use the Bing search engine with Firefox l7.0.1 and click on the third link I get this. Looks like they are redoing the site for whatever reason. Gets to 97.74.244.25 in 7 hops. Virus total URL scanner is too busy to check history this morning.

Edit: Is this what you are looking for: »irc.mygot.com/

Avnsec

@verizon.net
reply to SweetNoob

well if you went to the forum yesterday and today it shows a message...there is a good chance the admin of the site is responsible.

It could have been a cross site scripting attack.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net

i didn't think of that...it could have been cross site scripting.

i tried to replicate what happened today but to no avail....weird.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

This isnt the first time i've experienced something happen like that of this nature.

Couple of months ago i was on google researching some info....i clicked the google result...instead of ending up at the correct website....this little pop up happened.

i typed in the url normally and the website showed up.

This also occurred in google before.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

upon further research i discovered

Almost two of every three malicious redirects in major search engines are found on Bing,

»searchengineland.com/study-malic···h-135730

Hahaha thanks once again microsoft

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Click for full size
This is where I was taken to, third result down on the Bing search engine. Is this the right page? All seems normal.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

also i don't think it was a polish site the url ended with a .pl and was asking for some plugin to be installed. my guess is it was some perl script....

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

yes it's correct. but on bing i clicked »forums.myg0t.com/ - apparently today the site admin removed the forums for upgrading.

It could've been the webmaster of the site. because after that i typed in myg0t.com and i was also redirected to a random site.

I closed my browser and clicked it from google and went to the forums yesterday all loaded fine.

Today i tried to replicate but they changed the index of the homepage

i have obsessive compulsive disorder...so because i could not replicate the error i am not sure if it was bing that caused it or the webmaster.

Anyway it's not important.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to SweetNoob

Hmm i wonder if they fixed the issue,i clicked the third result and when right to the page w/bing.. (Saying they were updating)

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

Re: Microsoft bing

i just don't understand how after the first redirect i typed the url into my browser and was redirected again. after i closed the browser and typed it into google finally i reached the site

this was a clean install of win 7....sigh

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

I concluded my dns cache was probably poisoned.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to SweetNoob

I really think that this is a sign that you should stop cheating at online games.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net

hah

anyway i have also discovered

Manipulation by ISPs

A number of consumer ISPs such as OpenDNS,[2] Cablevision's Optimum Online,[3] Comcast,[4] Time Warner, Cox Communications, RCN,[5] Rogers,[6] Charter Communications, Verizon, Virgin Media, Frontier Communications, Bell Sympatico,[7] UPC,[8] T-Online,[9] Optus,[10] Mediacom,[11] ONO,[12] TalkTalk[13] and Bigpond (Telstra)[14][15][16][17] use DNS hijacking for their own purposes, such as displaying advertisements[18] or collecting statistics. This practice violates the RFC standard for DNS (NXDOMAIN) responses,[19] and can potentially open users to cross-site scripting attack

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

anyone know of any "Safe" alternative dns servers to use?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

»DNS Servers
»www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
The tool will help find the fastest DNS server and will show if it uses any type of redirection.

SweetNoob

@optonline.net
reply to SweetNoob

also i don't know if it was a drive by download, i formatted with dariks boot and nuke on quick and only reached 30 percent...did this clear the mbr?

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to SweetNoob

said by SweetNoob :

This isnt the first time i've experienced something happen like that of this nature.

Couple of months ago i was on google researching some info....i clicked the google result...instead of ending up at the correct website....this little pop up happened.

i typed in the url normally and the website showed up.

This also occurred in google before.

perform some action alright.......Get Firefox immediately.
I hope you didn't click the X or OK or anything on that pop-up.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to SweetNoob

said by SweetNoob :

also i don't know if it was a drive by download, i formatted with dariks boot and nuke on quick and only reached 30 percent...did this clear the mbr?

what happened at 30%?

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4
reply to SweetNoob

said by SweetNoob :

i don't have malware because i formatted 1 week ago....

Quote of the year!
Expand your moderator at work