share rss forum feed

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

Hobbit and Dolby Atmos

Just got back from watching the Hobbit at the local theatre, they have a new UltraAVX Cinema close to my house (only one of 4 in Canada), and my first experience with the new Dolby Atmos. BEST movie audio I have experienced yet in a movie theatre!! Dolby hit a home run with this system. Some of the scenes were total envelopment of surround sound, absolutely stunning! Love the 48 fps 3D as well! Well worth the extra $2 a ticket, along with the reserved seats so I didn't have to endure 45 minutes of commercials just to get center row seats!

»www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/tec···Theatres

Edit:
Here's a comparison of the different surround technologies you find in movie theatres:
»www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/tec···-Compare

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
disappointing, no theaters in SNJ or Philadelphia or even Atlantic City.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Kearnstd:

disappointing, no theaters in SNJ or Philadelphia or even Atlantic City.

I think these UltraAVX Cinema things are only in Canada?

In Oregon/Washington, Cinetopia offers some theatres with Dolby Atmos sound and others with MeyerSound EXP, etc...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
said by darcilicious:

I think these UltraAVX Cinema things are only in Canada?

Yep, specific to the Cineplex Odeon chain here. Along with a bigger screen, higher frame rate, it includes Dolby Atmos as well. Dolby Atmos is a separate independent standard licensed by Dolby.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to ArthurS
I'm not sure why this was not done before but not too sure how well it's going to do..

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
said by Subaru:

I'm not sure why this was not done before but not too sure how well it's going to do..

Because until digital projection technology was a reality in movie theatres in the past year or so, the capability of reproducing up to 64 separate channels of audio was beyond reach, and not even possible with optical projection. It will take a while before it becomes popular, it is quite an extensive upgrade for existing theatres, more financially feasible in new theatres where the infrastructure to support this can be planned in advance.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

but not too sure how well it's going to do..

I don't know, every time I've been to a Cinetopia showing, they seem to be doing brisk business. They also have several smaller (not as hi-tech) movie lounges for the 21+ crowd where food and drink from the attached restaurant/bar are allowed (restaurant food is allowed in all theaters there, as well).

I LOVE the Atmos stuff, have seen several movies now in that theatre and I am getting spoiled!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬