uniqs

callendula
@nothnbut.net

callendula to LLigetfa

Anon

to LLigetfa

Re: Losing speed between wisp module and computer

said by LLigetfa:

If they don't charge you for a truck roll, ask them to come out with their laptop and run a speedtest with it. A bad surge protector or bad cabling could cause Ethernet errors.

Thank you! The surge protector--do you mean the AC converter thing they have the Ethernet cable from the outside module antenna connect to? Or surge protector power strip? I have the AC cord from the module plugged directly into the wall outlet. I believe they gave us a new AC cord the last time they came out to install the new antenna. They also ran the speedtest and had the same number range I did, but they couldn't seem to figure out why it was so low. The guy even commented it shouldn't be that low! Yet, they didn't seem to be able to troubleshoot it. I've even thought maybe our old computer was to blame, so I direct wired the newer faster laptop but the speed result was the same.

I wondered if the ethernet cord itself might be the problem. The length that I can see looks good, but I have no idea how long they last. The one we have says UTP Cat 5e Type CM or MP 100MHZ. We haven't been charged a service call so far -- perhaps they'll come drop off a new cord for us to try.

I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions!!
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

By surge protector, I mean something like this at the point of entry.
said by callendula :

They also ran the speedtest and had the same number range I did, but they couldn't seem to figure out why it was so low. The guy even commented it shouldn't be that low! Yet, they didn't seem to be able to troubleshoot it.

In that case, I would not let them leave without some plan of action of how they intend to fix it.

By wire, I mean the outdoor portion which can be prone to damage from water ingress or rodents chewing. That's not to say the indoor wire cannot get damaged from chewing but assume it would not go unnoticed.

callendula
@nothnbut.net

callendula

Anon

I haven't seen anything like that photo. It could be on our tower, though, with the antenna. The ethernet cable runs down the pole and into the house and it doesn't connect into anything except an AC plug converter box. I'll try to get a picture of the set up. Our last antenna was one large rectangular enclosure, so when they replaced it, they removed the whole thing. I am only assuming that maybe the new setup also has a protector added in the enclosure.

The wire portion outside that I can see looks fine. I've grabbed it, tested the coating and it isn't flaky or peeling or otherwise appearing to be damaged. However, we have had freezes and scorching summers (Texas) over the lifetime of the wire. It connects into the antenna box from the bottom and appears to be pretty well protected from most elements at that point. A short portion of it runs under the house which I can't see. The only constant is the wire, though--since it was used with both antennas. I'm wondering why they didn't think to go ahead and change out the wire with the new installation--certainly they need replacing every so often. I wish I had thought about having them do it while they were here! Then if I still had problems, I could mark the cable off the list!!!
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Not all WISPs use entrance protection as the code requirement is loosely interpreted but we needed to give consideration to a bad SS. They do take a lickin' and don't always keep tickin'. I've even seen them fail new out of the box.

Wire should last a very long time if outdoor grade is used and rodents don't chew it. I have seen the result of water getting in it and rodent damage. A temporary wire can easily be strung up for a test to rule out (or in) the existing wire. The temporary wire can also be used to loop the existing wire to verify it with a dedicated tester.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to callendula

to callendula
Without much info, I doubt it is the cable, router, or anything on your end. If it were, I would expect there to be very high packet loss as ethernet slowness is usually caused by the lack of traffic even being able to flow correctly.

I would tend to agree with wirelessdog that the problem is probably on their tower end of the link. Most likely either due to over-saturation (too many people on that tower) or low signals. I would tend to think if it were a saturation issue, you'd be able to do a speed test in the middle of the night and see much faster results. Given the little bit of information, I would say either the signals are too low to provide the full 3 mbps, or maybe there is a setting or other compatibility issue between the old equipment and new equipment.

You said you were having disconnect issues beforehand but didn't really say if the speed was the same as after the replaced the equipment. If you were still seeing faster speeds but having disconnect issues, it points to the issue being specifically with the antenna they replaced. If the speeds were already slowly getting worse, there might have been two totally different issues.

There are so many factors, that it is hard to say with any level of certainty, especially with the kind of information that you as a customer would have access to (signal strength, noise floor, modulation rate, etc).

callendula
@nothnbut.net

callendula to LLigetfa

Anon

to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

Not all WISPs use entrance protection as the code requirement is loosely interpreted but we needed to give consideration to a bad SS. They do take a lickin' and don't always keep tickin'. I've even seen them fail new out of the box.

Wire should last a very long time if outdoor grade is used and rodents don't chew it. I have seen the result of water getting in it and rodent damage. A temporary wire can easily be strung up for a test to rule out (or in) the existing wire. The temporary wire can also be used to loop the existing wire to verify it with a dedicated tester.

I am not sure what grade the wire is. Is there a way to tell? It just says UTP Cat 5e Type CM or MP 100MHZ on the wire.
callendula

callendula to jcremin

Anon

to jcremin
jcremin

Testing anytime shows the same result.

We set up service years ago. I forget exactly when we started service. My husband seems to think it was around 9 years ago. We had an antenna hooked up and when we checked the speed, it was near 3mbps. It varied of course, but usually around 2.5 or so. It was much faster than the dial up we ditched. It worked great and we were happy with it--even when we signed up for netflix through the wii--we had no problems streaming. Then this year we had dropping problems. Although we didn't know what it was at the time, I found that we'd lose internet and I'd have to reboot the router. It would run for a while and the scenario would repeat itself. When it became a major problem happening every 5 mins or so, we called. They looked at our antenna on their computer and said they showed several drops and the signal strength was low at 72% and the antenna showed it was receiving only 1.5 from the tower. (I did not do a speedtest myself at this time) So, the tech came out and replaced the antenna for us. After he did so, the office said the antenna signal strength was 97% and 2.86mbps. But, the speed is still slow and the test I did after they replaced the antenna shows .98 at the highest and usually around .3

I told the lady my tests was showing .98 with the antenna directly connected to the computer (no router). She said my antenna was receiving 2.86mpbs. When I asked why I could only get .98 if my antenna was receiving 2.86, she said that trees and distance, a router, background programs, etc would slow down the speed. She said they only guarantee 1mpbs and since my antenna was getting 2.86, I was getting near the maximum they provide (3). She didn't have any other suggestions or tips. I just assumed that if the antenna is getting 2.86 then I should be able to see that reflected on a speedtest.

We have much improved the disconnections because we haven't had one drop. However, the speed is still much slower than what they say we are getting at the antenna outside. I don't understand--to me, we have the speed available, but for some reason we can't tap into it. It's like we are losing speed between our antenna and the computer.