uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickdry21

join:2009-05-15
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Colbanet

Using an old Android as a permanent in car GPS

I picked up a Nexus 4 the other day, leaving my old phone (Desire Z) without mobile connectivity. Seeing as I have a windshield mount for my old Android, I would like to use it as a permanent in-car GPS. I would love to be able to use Google Maps, but the offline cache feature is fairly limited, especially when it comes down to turn by turn navigation. Can anyone suggest a totally offline GPS app that also provides turn-by-turn navigation?

quickdry21

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Colbanet

1 recommendation

Well, to answer my own question, I found a work around to get Google Maps running on my disconnected phone. I set up my Nexus 4 to run a portable hotspot that my old phone/GPS automatically connects to. All I need to do is enable the portable hotspot on my Nexus when I hop in the car. I cached my local area for driving around and can pop on the portable hot spot when I need navigation. Alternately, I could use Tasker to automatically enable the portable hot spot when my Nexus 4 connects via Bluetooth to the old phone/GPS.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

Would it not be easier just to buy a GPS for your car? I use Google Navigation to get around towns when I don't know where something is but I don't rely on it for long trips. Too risky to loose a data connection.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to quickdry21

Google maps can download offline maps... not sure if it can do routing offline though...

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
reply to quickdry21

At this point, wouldn't it just be earlier to use your current phone as GPS? I have a car mount in my car, turn on the GPS Navigation, plug it up and off I go.

quickdry21

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Colbanet

If I had a decent car mount this would probably be the case. Unfortunately I can't find any for the Nexus 4, and I already have one for my old phone.

I've owned purpose built gps systems in the past, and I find I much prefer Google maps/navigation.

I've cached the cities I drive most in which works for getting around, and I wifi tether the two phones together when I need to use navigation.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to quickdry21

I use an Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for my Casio Commando, and it works great. It is a tablet mount but it goes small enough to hold the phone securely. I can also leave the phone plugged in if I need to while on this mount. It is about $16 on Amazon.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

Google maps can download offline maps... not sure if it can do routing offline though...

I had issues with google off line maps just trying to do 40 miles, kept complaining about the area was too large.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to quickdry21

Use NavFree USA. Only needs wifi to download maps and Google Search a location, which is usually dead on. Everything else, including routing, is done offline. This means that it can even reroute a wrong turn without a data connection. It seems very tolerant to low GPS signals compared to most apps. Treated me very well in the mountains of New Hampshire and Maine, where cell coverage from national carriers is spotty, at best, and GPS signals can fall low due to the mountains. I use Waze in the city for its advanced traffic routing and Navfree everywhere else. Neither have gotten me lost or told me to get on a few off ramps(unlike Google Maps).
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
reply to quickdry21

Let me see if I can find the website where I got my car mount from. They made it so it would fit my Gnex with an Otterbox and is a pretty awesome mount overall.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

said by burner50:

I had issues with google off line maps just trying to do 40 miles, kept complaining about the area was too large.

I managed to download the entire DFW Metroplex... prolly 80 miles across
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Subaru

Even after my post, everybody acts like Google Maps is the only navigation program for Android. One of the biggest pieces of shit? Yes(Relies on data connection, suffers lag on 2G, offline mode a joke, insists you drive the wrong way on a few highways). The only one? No. See above post.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

Use NavFree USA.

For purely navigation not bad.... but not real good for POI, landmark stuff.

Exact address yes, but not find a place/thing...though it does know many of them if you click there, but not searchable or named destination points (vs address) Google is good at. And often you know where you want to go but not the address.

Also the international version... for a small country like Denmark, a reasonable 150MB download (like a US state)...but Canada rather than by provenances you have to take the entire country it like .7GB tolerable on a tablet maybe but a likely impossible space hog on a phone.

Also the position cursor they use is inaccurate (triangular pointer). Your position should be the point... but its really the center of the icon... that being the case it should be a ball cross hair type type icon not a triangular point it is the center of.
--