All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
HD5830Gamer
join:2012-08-14

HD5830Gamer to Packeteers

to Packeteers

Re: VPN Review websights

Never tried ibvpn. And not trusting them either.

nVpn has DDoS protection.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

Gamer - you raise a good point that is worth elaborating on to the casual reader here.

I started this thread out of a desire to hide myself from copy write cops when I p2p TV shows I may have missed. Here in USA your ISP and others are archiving and compiling data of all your online activity they can associate with your public MAC address in case they need to use it as evidence later against you to pursue a copy write p2P claim against you. this is not some conspiracy theory or urban legend - this is a well documented fact.

I have no doubt that for $2.15/month, ibVPN is helping thwart the efforts of entities who wish to prosecute me to downloading last week's episode of the Simpson's, while providing me above average data thru put and Euro outlet availability.

However, one should keep in mind Gamer's point - that internet ISP consumers and copy write holders are now in an "arms race" to see what defenses and weapons each can use to avoid and catch the other. It is certainly possible that sometime down the road, copy write cops will not be content with accumulating evidence on you, but rather they may preemptively strike out against the IP address they detect p2p'ing their content and attacking it with packet traffic, thus redering your ISP:VPN connection to be useless at least during that particular p2p download session - I have already experienced this being done to me on a few occasions, particularly when I use South East Asian based trackers.

my guess is that at least in the USA, this potential is one of the ways copy write cops got ISP's to agree to share their information on you, and impliment their 6-strikes notification policy as a way to discourage copy write cops from employing more draconian measures like DDoS attacks against you, since DDoS attacks would have only created all sorts of expensive time consuming tech support calls to the ISP by individuals who suspect they may be under attack.

so choosing a VPN provider obviously includes what level of anonymity and protection you desire. my concern is not that some Russian phrishing game-gold farming gang does not find and attack me for looking at their game exploit forum. my concern is while portable I want to keep prying eyes off my public wifi network online activity, and at my desktop I want to keep HBO lawyers from coming after me for watching Game of Thrones without paying my local cableTV provider - as do 99% of the people reading this thread
HD5830Gamer

HD5830Gamer

Totally agreed with you. Me being 15 and taking proper safety precautions when doing things online is very important, at least in my book. I use a VPN for many things, not just Torrents.

I think America is losing It's name considering what is going on in this Country, jail time over Torrent'ing? seriously are you freaking kidding me?

Now on to VPNs. Secsys.net is a VPN that has 25 GBp/s of raw DDoS protection and is very useful. Expensive but worth it.

www.Dold.se (Headquartered in Sweden)

www.Privatvpn.se (Headquartered in Sweden)

www.IPVanish.com (Based in U.S??? unconfirmed)

www.nVpn.net (Headquartered in unknown??? not in U.S I know for a fact. Sold on HackForums as well)

www.Thesafety.us (Headquartered in Panama)

www.ipredator.se (Headquartered in Sweden)

www.PrivateInternetAccess.com (Headquartered in U.S stay away)

www.SecSys.net (Headquartered in ??? best DDoS protection)

SMac is a MAC spoofer. Love it. VPNCheck Pro protects you when your VPN fails.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

Gamer - as you've tried so many VPNs by now, can you suggest one that allows for your own reserved public static IP every time you login to their service - what is such a service feature even called. I just paid my $26 for a year of ibVPN so I won't be trying and posting reviews of other VPNs for a long while (unless they give me a Month for free for my type of feedback - hehehe).

I learned a few new (what I consider) positive things about ibVPN. when I paypal'ed and registered for the year, my registration information was fictional (city zipcode and area code are nearby but the rest is nonsense), and ibVPN didn't seem to care as long as they got their money, meaning they don't cross check your paypal info against your online registration info, as many online resellers do.

I also discovered their P2P plan offers access to 4 outlets, not just 3 I posted earlier. the good news for me is that 4th outlet was recently added capacity, that older members don't know about (or have it on their server list) so I get to enjoy a GB outlet while still under 10% utilization. Older members can update their server list to include that 4th outlet, but few seem to bother.

A bonus feature I discovered after reinstalling OpenVPN by ibVPN for the year, is the version they provide allows for you to keep your name and password in a separate text file the .ovpn file you use can refer to externally. this basically means ibVPN is redistributing a slightly more premium version of OpenVPN than other providers (if you download openvpn from their developer web sight this password file calling feature is not enabled for personal security reasons). this may seem like a trifle, but saving me from typing in my name and password about 1,000 times over the coming year was a relief, as I'm the only person with access to my home PC.
HD5830Gamer

HD5830Gamer

Get nVpn's dedicated IP plan if you want static IP.