join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Question

Was that modem $130 flat? If so a $25 restocking fee is over 15%, that's a 20% restocking fee and one of the highest i've heard of.

Just a bout any retail store in Canada charges 10-15% (if they charge it) and most will just allow the return.

This is one thing Teksavvy can control and it's astronomically high.

Aside from that, the OpenVPN part sucks but you should have looked in to that before signing up. I run OpenVPN myself and knew about this prior so i'm assuming you never thought twice about this kind of issue with it.

Hope you get it figured out.

westcoast

join:2012-12-24
Mission, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Yes the modem was $130.00 Flat plus $10 shipping and the restocking fee is $25.00. When I placed the order I asked the rep if I could use my ST-516 and she even placed me on hold while she consulted Tech Support and when she came back she assured me that it would not work and I would need to buy the Zyxel but I have tested the 516 and there is no noticeable difference between that and the $130.00 Zyxel. You would think that after spending over $300 for a service that I can't even use the least they would do is give me my money back for the modem but the attitude was more like they were doing me a favour by taking it back at all even with the restocking fee. One of them even told me "You purchased it, it's yours".

I had no idea that Openvpn does not work with PPPoE and either did Teksavvy Tech support, I called them several times and while most were not interested in helping me resolve the issue I did speak to a couple of people who tried to help but had no idea what the problem could be. I had used the same setup with Telus and Teksavvy uses their lines so I assumed it would work but Telus does not use PPPoE authentication. I should have done more research but there isn't much information out there.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

said by westcoast:

I asked the rep if I could use my ST-516 and she even placed me on hold while she consulted Tech Support and when she came back she assured me that it would not work

Curiously, I've been told the exact same thing by multiple Telus reps. Keep in mind I've only ever had 15Mbit service, and the ST516 is one I received directly from Telus. Next time I call in I'm just going to lie and say I have a Zyxel.

GermanVPN

@leaseweb.com
reply to westcoast

Here is me posting via OpenVPN using Teksaavy just fine. I have had zero issues using it with my TPLink modem.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to Tx

Ever heard of Bell Canada? They charge you more for shipping a modem than the modem is even worth. It's cheaper to go out and buy one rather than telling them you need a modem replacement.

westcoast

join:2012-12-24
Mission, BC

1 recommendation

reply to Mango

You can also flash that Telus ST-516 with Generic firmware and use it with any provider. It will also still work with Telus after the flash.

« ResponseResponse. »