Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

[Help] You guys might know this?

I just bought a Nikon Cool Pik with a USB charger. Since it has a USB port can I charge it in the car when I travel? How about by computer?. It does have the Li.on battery. I do not want to ruin the camera.

The last unit I owned was USB car/house charger for phone or laptop. The last phone I had that could charge by computer was the iPhone. I know nothing about electrical current.

Thanks!
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

If it charges when plugged into the computer, or a USB charger plugged into the wall, then yes, it will charge when plugged into an appropriate cigarette lighter outlet USB charger unit.

P.S. What model of Coolpix is this?

Ralph.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

This is the best news I've received for awhile. The Nikon is a
COOLPIX S3300. It shipped with an AC adapter/USB port and audio/video cable.

The worst I can say is facial color is not very good in CFL light. The last car charger I had was a USB/AC adapter unit. I had no trouble with it.

My son-in-law said his cell phone ruined his car charger ??? .
--

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
Winnipeg, MB
reply to linicx

I believe this model uses an EN-EL19 Li-ion battery and should come with its own charger. The USB cable that should come with it, is for data transfer only, not for in-camera charging.

This charger may also have a USB outlet for charging USB devices. So be sure what's what before trying other charging methods. Your best bet always is to refer to the manual. Hope this works out as you planned.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Yes, it is the EN-EL 19 Li.Ion battery. It charges in-camera via a Nikon provided combo AC/USB charger. The Nikon provided cable for charging looks like a USB cable on one end with a mini USB connector to camera the other.

The manual is sadly lacking. There is no mention of charging except for the first charge.
--

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to linicx

Um....I'm almost certain the USB/mini USB cable is for data transfer and not battery charging. I own probably 8 Coolpix cameras and none of them uses this cable for charging.

But I may be wrong in this instance.

Edit: Aha! According to this link, the charger pack and USB cable link up to make up a charging unit. »www.photographyblog.com/reviews/···_review/

So the battery cannot be charged in-camera. The USB cable also doubles as a data transfer cable I guess.

And to answer your original question, it can be charged in your car with the proper accessory for the cigarette lighter outlet. But the battery has to be removed and installed in the charger unit. Easy enough.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I don't know what a "charger pack" is. The box shipped from Nikon contained: One cordless AC adapter (charger) with only one (USB) connection port; one USB to micro port cable; one Li.ion battery, and one camera with a micro port. The SD card was not included.

The camera does not operate without the battery. The AC adapter has no external or optionally included device to charge a battery. The directions and description indicate the included cable connects the AC adapter to the camera for the purpose of charging and perhaps data transfer.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to linicx

I've had Canon P&S cameras that charge the battery while it's still in the camera but each of my Nikons require the battery to be placed in a separate charger that's plugged into an AC outlet. If you want to use the camera while the battery charges then buy a second battery.

Of course the best way to answer this question is to drain the battery and then plug it into the computer overnight. I've found most cameras lose power when plugged into a computer but maybe Nikon has decided to follow Canon's lead.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

There is no separate AC charger. No information is provided concerning the need for a separate charger. There is no information concerning charging via computer.

The AC Adaptor plus into AC source. In my case it is a wall unit. The adaptor has no fixed wire. The USB cable plugs into one side of the USB port on the AC Adaptor. The other end of the cable plugs into a device with a micro port.

The Nikon and two of my cell phones have the same port. In each case I see a green light if -- and only if -- there is a proper connection between the AC source and the unit.

I would never dream of using a camera while it is tethered to a charging unit. It may come to pass that a freshly charged Li.ion battery is a better choice.
--

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to linicx

This camera is able to charge the battery while it's still inserted, which is why it only comes with an AC charging adapter with a USB plug. There is an optional stand-alone battery charger available for the EN-EL19 battery: »www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Produc···ger.html

You should be able to charge it via other USB interfaces as well (like a car cigarette lighter adapter or computer).
--
Photos By Greg Strong