uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to compuguybna

Re: Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi On Sale for $19.99

said by compuguybna:

the mi-fi does not have to be plugged into the pc. Its a wireless device... You could sit this device in the window...

Thanks *a lot*, I completely missed that!

I thought it plugged-into a USB port with a cable! You're right about the MC760 of course--the way I use it now is connected to a roof-mount antenna. Then when I travel I pull-it and carry it with me (and sometimes suffer for the "not-good positioning" aspect of it).

I will have to think some more on this--I don't suppose I can use my current (old, legacy $40/mo, grandfathered) plan with another device except for a failure...but maybe it would be good to buy both anyway--the MC760 to back-up my current aging MC760, and the Mi-Fi for the rare occasions I travel (and then I'd buy service "by the drink").

Does this seem reasonable to you?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

I thought it plugged-into a USB port with a cable! You're right about the MC760 of course--the way I use it now is connected to a roof-mount antenna. Then when I travel I pull-it and carry it with me (and sometimes suffer for the "not-good positioning" aspect of it).

Just for your information the mifi that VM sells *CAN* be used as a modem when plugged in via USB... cradlepoint routers and your PC will treat it like a usb modem.