uniqs

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Sagemcom F@st 2864 - will adding a wireless router help?

Will adding a wireless router help me get better reception on my wireless devices? Right now it is pretty bad.
The Sagemcom was installed by Bell when I got Fibe TV to go along with my High Speed Internet.
If adding an additional wireless router is a good idea, what make & model would you recommend.
Thanks.

A non
@bellmobilite.ca

A non

Anon

Yes it will, you need to disable wifi on Sagemcom, connect your router to it and setup your wireless on the router. The type of router you need depends on the number and type of machines that connect to it and the type of user you are. The choice of router won't be the same if you're doing a lot of online gaming, video streaming or if you're only browsing and checking e-mails. Here's a good article that can help you narrow down your choices.
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 9,00.asp
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit

urbang33k to RobThompson

to RobThompson
If your going to buy a new peice of hardware, your first choice should NOT be a ROUTER.

You should be shopping for an ACCESS POINT. There IS a difference and it would be a much less complicated configuration and more compatible in the bigger picture.

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· csid=_61

I would highly recommend you stay away from anything that says ROUTER on it IF your going to buy something new.

Leave the ROUTING functionality upto the sagemcom and just get to access point to handle the wireless

edit: The device I linked is only ment to serve as an example to compare to a router. I, of course, can't make any garauntee that the above linked device will work with any ISPs/Consumer provide router.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

1 edit

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks urbang33k & a Non.

I also have an OBI 110 and was hoping that a better 'router' might be beneficial to it as well.
If a router won't add anything to my OBI experience, then I guess that I'll go with an ACCESS POINT.

CNDm59
@bell.ca

CNDm59

Anon

I'm on FTTH and i was getting the sync-no-surf syndrome quite often. I traced it down to the doggy wireless on the Sagemcom, i now have the wireless disabled on the Sagecom and bought a enGenius ecb350 and set it up as an AP.
since i've done this i haven ran into the sync-no-surf issue.

as for the ECB350 im quite happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. only complain is the interface/GUI.
oblender
join:2003-07-31
Toronto, ON

oblender to RobThompson

to RobThompson
Funny. I have my apple airport router connected to my sage com and have not disabled wireless on the Sagemcom without any issues. I don't believe you have to turn off the wifi on the Sagemcom as if you need to access the user interface you need to be connected to the Sagemcom.

STN
join:2004-12-29
Canada

STN

You don't have to disable the wireless but it would be good practice to do so. Benefits could be: 1) no interference with the wifi you are using and 2) reduce routines on the Sagem which could lead to improved stability. You also do not need to have the wifi on the Sagem on to access the user interface. Being on the LAN is sufficient, which would include being connected to an Access Point which is plugged into the LAN.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
Some things to keep in mind about wireless:

Wireless modems/routers operate as a transmitter & a receiver at either 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz or both.

Wireless house phones also work within the same frequency ranges as modems/routers. Other wireless devices can also use the same ranges.

Some notes:
1. If you have a wireless phone base unit, don't locate one beside the router.
2. There are several channels available for wireless devices and if the neighbourhood has many wireless channels in use reliability might be an issue.
3. You can connect a router behind a Sagemcom successfully without issues. If you buy a new router, buy one that operates as a dual band router which will give you access to the 5.0GHz range.
4. High end laptops will work in the 5.0GHz range, while others may need a USB adapter to work at 5.0GHz.
5. Most wireless routers/modems have a transmitter power control.
Bell's 2Wire modem/router defaults to a level of 4 out of 10. Turning up the level on the Sagemcom may fix your problem if it is not already set at 10.
6. Turning/rotating the Sagemcon 90 degrees or laying it on its side can make huge differences.
7. If the Sagemcom is near a metal filing cabinet, on a desk in the kitchen near a refrigerator or other large metal object, transmitter/receiver signals may be impacted as a result. The same goes for the location of the affected device (laptop, game, etc.)
8. Some older houses built in the 1950's using gyprock lath with plaster walls has aluminum foil on the back side. While normally used only on outside walls, aluminum clad gyplath has been found on inside walls. This will also affect cellular communications.
I helped my son renovate a 55 year old house in west Hamilton and cellular service was crap within the house, but great outside. It wasn't until we made 2 bedrooms into 1 and knocked out the wall that we found aluminum foil on both sides of the inside wall.
9. The solution at my son's house was to string Ethernet cable.

Rick

STN
join:2004-12-29
Canada

STN

said by RickStep:

Some things to keep in mind about wireless:

3. You can connect a router behind a Sagemcom successfully without issues. If you buy a new router, buy one that operates as a dual band router which will give you access to the 5.0GHz range.

It has been noted that this is no longer true for everyone. You can connect a Wireless Access Point (no router function, no PPPoE connection) without issue but connecting a "Router" (initiating a PPPoE session) behind a Sagemcom will not work for everyone due to changes in the network.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
I use an old WRT54G as my wireless access point behind my Sagemcom 2864. Even the Bell tech who installed my Fibe service said the wireless functionality on the 2864 sucks ass.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to RobThompson

to RobThompson
An access point is a good solution to improve wifi reception, but the Sagemcom (like any isp all-in-one device) is rather poor router on its own, so it might be worth it to get a full blown router.

In most cases, if necessary a router can be converted to an access point by changing the settings carefully. (DHCP Server off, mainly).

I picked up the linksys e4200 v1 refurb and I'm very satisfied with tomato firmware...
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

well, personally, I prefer separate devices.

If you get a separate access point and it works with your isp's router then great.

If, one day, you feel you need your own router then buy an actual quality router and connect your access point to it. Better than an all-in-one solution in my humble opinion.