how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dlsauers

join:2005-10-25
Wellston, OH

[Need Info] on [Review] Straight Talk and the Samasung Galaxy Pr

Since replying in the approriate spot is blocked....

»[Review] Straight Talk and the Samasung Galaxy Procalim

I liked to have comments on this device from the original poster and others.

1) Does it REALLY have 802.11a 5.8GHZ as listed by the specs? ?

2) Issues with the device..ie: No Service/Airplane mode lock up that others are reporting?

3) Camera ... since its fixed focus and no flash, issues with QR/Barcode scanning which seem to work only on auto focus cameras? Pic2Scan I am aware of, and looking at for QR/bar code scanning... Other suggested camera applications over stock for the camera... Issues with applications which support BCS ie: Target, KeyRing etc..??

4) Square and Intuit QuickPay??? Any one using it on this device or the LG? Working, Not working????

I'd love to get the Samsung Galaxy S S950C but its not online, no store locally or in areas where I could import it seem to have it, and its slightly more than I want to pay any way... the SII is NOT an option. VZW ONLY DEVICES.. Thats the reason I am finally looking at ST as they finally got a deal for Android devices on VZW.. those others are just as inferior as the current MVNO that this device will replace when they use the same or another inferior network.

The LG slider is nice and I like the keyboard, but its 800MHz and the last LG I had at this level was a DOG! ABSOLUTE DOG! Don't wish to repeat that experience just for autofocus if I can adapt with software, and the addition of 802.11a 5.8GHz would be a plus for me.

This will NOT be my primary phone. I have another Verizon contract phone, this is a secondary phone and I have used another CDMA MVNO on another drastically inferior network.. I am aware that this is native VZW coverage so most of KY and WV is a dead spot [no coverage], but it works in my area.. I really don't get why VZW would make these areas "roaming" for spectrum rights.. but thats another topic...

Comments and reviews on this??

Any have suggestions for :

1) Car Mounts / Navigation mounts ala

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-ECS-K1E6B···ps_img_y

If Samsung made these when on Verizon as the Illusion they've removed it from their site and I can't seem to find a reference to an OEM one... after market similar devices.. which auto activate Car/Nav mode?

2) Desktop Cradles / Docks ala

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-EDD-D1E6B···05SC8V1K

when on Verizon as the Illusion they've removed it from their site and I can't seem to find a reference to an OEM one... after market similar devices.. which auto activate Desk Dock mode????

I prefer to have docks and mounts like these for all devices

3) High capacity batteries even if not compatible (most are not) with the OEM mounts/docks above or cases... most of the after market ones don't seem to mind, but don't activate nav mode for the one I found thats "universal."

Any one know the trick that Samsung uses? In the LG I had it was a magnet in the right spot to trick it to dock or nav mode... My current Samsung seems to be something in the device as it must be powered to change where the LG didn't...

Any other comments on this unit???

Thanks!

george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: [Need Info] on [Review] Straight Talk and the Samasung Galax

The only info I can give you is I have had no issues with my phone in any way. The only times I have no service is in areas without good coverage on any other phones. I don't use square or other card swipes nor the QC scanners. I am not sure about the 802.11a 5.8ghz if you know how I can check this I will be glad to tell you what I find. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

dlsauers

join:2005-10-25
Wellston, OH

said by george357:
The only info I can give you is I have had no issues with my phone in any way.
Nothing with it locking up when switching to Airplane mode and back? and or no service in known service areas and then its locked up ior stuck in airplane mode? Don't know wheter its just whiners or a bad batch that all the whiners got....

said by george357:
I am not sure about the 802.11a 5.8ghz if you know how I can check this I will be glad to tell you what I find.
If you have a DUAL BAND wireless AP or router that has 802.11a 5.8GHz like a Netgear HE102 or WNDR4500, 3700 etc.. can the phone see the 5.8GHz side? I've seen conflicting info...and would like confirm it has 802.11a for real like the i405 Stratosphere as it makes my life a lot easier...

Thanks.

george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

I have never used airplane mode nor have I had the phone lock up in any manner, except the occasional RAM/App sluggishness.

I am using an ASUS RT-N16 Router and I don't think it has that 5.8Ghz band.

I've only used a few other Android phones some more expensive and some less, in my opinion its a great phone for the money. YMMV
--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away