how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

[DISH] Dish install at apartment building

I currently have Comcast and am considering a switch to frontier dsl/phone/dishnetwork. I live in apartment building. I am curious how they would install the hopper system. Would they install new cable or just use the existing cable?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

In an apartment it is very dependent on your lease conditions/terms

Many do not allow outside building attachments or drilling holes. And your apartment does unobstructed face SW, then dish would have to go on roof if even it was clear.

Again many places will not allow that. And especially if the Comcast wast building contracted, you still might be paying for in your rent for basic service, and not be deducted you stop using it.
--

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to mikedz4

They usually try and use existing cables as long as they have access to them and they are in good shape. If they can not access all of the existing cabling, they will run new stuff.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

the apartment complex requires a pole install and a $75 deposit.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

I do not think they can legally charge you a deposit unless they let you attach it (i.e.: using screws or bolts) to the actual building.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they are. I asked the landlord and they said that I had to pay $75 deposit and sign an agreement before it could be installed.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to mikedz4

quote:
Q: What types of restrictions unreasonably delay or prevent viewers from using an antenna? Can an antenna user be required to obtain prior approval before installing his antenna?

A: A local restriction that prohibits all antennas would prevent viewers from receiving signals, and is prohibited by the Commission's rule. Procedural requirements can also unreasonably delay installation, maintenance or use of an antenna covered by this rule. For example, local rules or regulations that require a person to obtain a permit or approval prior to installation create unreasonable delay and are generally prohibited. Permits or prior approval necessary to serve a legitimate written safety or historic preservation purpose may be permissible. Although a simple notification process (e.g. post installation) might be permissible, such a process cannot be used as a prior approval requirement and may not delay or increase the cost of installation. The burden is on the association to show that a notification process does not violate our rule.

Q: What is an unreasonable expense?

A: Any requirement to pay a fee to the local authority for a permit to be allowed to install an antenna would be unreasonable because such permits are generally prohibited. It may also be unreasonable for a local government, community association or landlord to require a viewer to incur additional costs associated with installation. Things to consider in determining the reasonableness of any costs imposed include: (1) the cost of the equipment and services, and (2) whether there are similar requirements for comparable objects, such as air conditioning units or trash receptacles. For example, restrictions cannot require that expensive landscaping screen relatively unobtrusive DBS antennas. A requirement to paint an antenna so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted might be acceptable, provided it will not interfere with reception or impose unreasonable costs.
Have him take a look at this website for more info. »www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece···e#filing
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

so what they are doing is illegal in asking me to pay $75 for the fee? But how can I fight an corporation that owns 30 apartment complexes as I'm sure the landlord is only enforcing their rules.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

You can print the rules and show it to the landlord. You can also call or e-mail the FCC and complain.

Do you have your own private area (i.e. balcony or patio) where you can put the dish? If so all you need is a bucket full of concrete to put the pole in. They should not be able to get a deposit for that.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

A: Any requirement to pay a fee to the local authority for a permit to be allowed to install an antenna would be unreasonable because such permits are generally prohibited.

But that isn't what they are charging them, its not a permit it is a potential damage deposit (refundable)... for unrepaired holes drilled, etc.

FCC just says they can't outright prohibit and again the rules apply more to municipal regs (many put in place in the big C-Band dish days) than private property. Doesn't mean there can't be any restriction.

Also if basic cable is part of the rent or HA fees, you can't get that credited just because you aren't using it.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to mikedz4

As Hayward pointed out, they used the proper word, "deposit". They can't charge a fee. In this case, when you leave this apartment and fix the holes (good luck with that !!), you'll get your $75 back.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

an neighbor had one installed. It looked like they buried line and connected it where cable comes in to building.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Hall

I just called the FCC and according to them deposits are also illegal. They fall under the unnecessary extra expenses.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Then the landlord should deny him access to mount the dish to the building. He doesn't own that so there's no right to mount there. As you point out, he can freely mount a dish in an area that's only for him, i.e. a balcony, etc, but not in an area where other tenants have free access.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they make me do a pole install in the side yard.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by mikedz4:

Do you not have a balcony or patio?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

small patio but it is covered.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

What direction does it face?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

1 edit

I'm facing east. Other side of building is facing south
My patio is facing east but I am on the outside wall that faces north. The other side of the building faces south but borders woods.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

Your facing the wrong way Can't hit the sat from that location-Loks like you need to move to the other side of the building.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

Everything working ?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I can't just move to another apartment that is occupied and no not yet. Trying to figure out how to get them to reduce my past due bill or sign up in my fiancé's name since she lives here too.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by mikedz4:

Trying to figure out how to get them to reduce my past due bill or sign up in my fiancé's name since she lives here too.

Are you saying that you are past due on your rent and you want to install DISH?

If that is true, you have your priorities backwards and no wonder that the landlord is doing what he is doing.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I have an dish network account from 4 or 5 years ago that is past due. Dish won't waive it even though it is from 4 or 5 years ago. I am trying to figure out what my other options are like getting it reduced or using my fiancé's name.

westdc

Amissville, VA

If she uses the same address as yours -Then that won't work either

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

well the past due is attached to my parents address but my ssn. Why wouldn't they forgive the past due especially IF I agree to a 3 or 4 year contract?

westdc

Amissville, VA

You would need to ask them-A Debt is a Debt once Burned why should they take another chance? That's why there is a credit rating for Business to make a judgement for Goods or services offered NOT for forgiveness.

If you call and ask that would should show so honesty on your part and perhaps they would add the old debt to your new install spread out over your commitment.

You really need to ask Customer Service.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they told me I had to pay it in full before getting service UNLESS I bought my receivers on ebay or craigslist.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

what are my other options for getting dish network service?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I'll bet you're looking at $200-300 for all of the equipment if you were to buy it on your own and that's non-DVR receivers. I see from your original post that you want a Hopper-based system. Scratch that number above. A Hopper by itself is at least $400.

No installation either -- you'll have to do it yourself.

Compare that to the past due amount...