spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

opinionmine

join:2006-03-10

The weird unfairness: or am I missing something?

I signed up for FIOS a little over two years ago. I recommended to my mother to sign up when it became available to her six months later. Both in for the Triple Play.

I signed up for Extreme HD, my mother for Prime HD.

We had Showtime in the bundle, my mother didn't.

We watch less then a dozen channels and don't really need Extreme, but would like greater speed.

I was thinking of moving up to 75 in speed and moving down to Prime HD. Total without a contract an additional $5.

So I look at the channel line up for Prime and it turns out that Showtime is part of the bundle for both Prime and Extreme. If that is so, why is my mother not getting Showtime?

If I downgrade to Prime, will we retain Showtime?

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

It sounds like you and your mother are in different FiOS Service areas. Some areas, such as the New York metro area, get slightly different packages and prices. NYC in particular gets HBO and Showtime included in the Extreme HD package since it is such a competitive market for Verizon.

opinionmine

Same area. We live eight miles apart in Northern NJ.

I asked why my mother is not getting Showtime, I have Extreme today, why am I not getting HBO?

opinionmine

reply to opinionmine

Just had an long online chat with support.

Finally told their listings are erroneous.

Contrary to their listings, HBO and Showtime is not bundled with Extreme and Showtime is not bundled with Prime.

Anyone know that info to be wrong?

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

In NY, The channels in the Prime and Extreme packages have been changed. Prime now comes with Show , TMC , Extreme comes with those AND HBO.

opinionmine

Maybe in NY, I was just told by support that is not so for us in NJ.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to ITALIAN926

HBO is packaged with Cinemax, right ?

Same thing for Showtime and TMC? Or is Encore packaged with one of those ? I forget.

I am in VHO7, and I have Ultimate, which includes everything. I am just curious.

Thanks.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Showtime, TMC/Flix, Encore and Starz are part of one giant mega movie package boogaloo and are not sold separately.

HBO, Cinemax and Epix are sold separately, however there is an HBO+Cinemax bundle available.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to opinionmine

I went through a similar thing last week with Verizon.

Apparently, even if you're in the NYC DMA and are eligible for the Prime/Showtime or Extreme/Sho/HBO packages, they are not available to existing customers that signed up when those packages didn't exist.

I've had Extreme HD since I got FiOS. It originally came with Showtime, but when I upgraded to 75/35, they made me drop it for some reason. Now that all my discounts expired, I called to see if I could lower the bill or match the new bundles. It would've cost me +$40/month to "upgrade" to the new packages with HBO/Showtime (I think she was just quoting me the new bundle price + the cost of HBO/Showtime separately). I asked why my package doesn't include them even though all of the channel lineups on verizon.com say it should - answer was just that we have an older bundle and there's nothing they can do about it. Such bullshit.

For your case specifically, if you downgrade to Prime online, it MUST say "Showtime (bundle)" on the checkout/order summary. If it doesn't, you will lose it. As far as I can tell, there's no way to switch to the "new" TV packages online. It will only offer you the package that was available when you signed up + a la cart HBO/Showtime/etc.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

celticpride

@verizon.net
reply to UnnDunn

its not fair verizon, should give everybody the same channels in the packages they have,regardless of where you live ,just like dish and directv!!

opinionmine

said by celticpride :

its not fair verizon, should give everybody the same channels in the packages they have,regardless of where you live ,just like dish and directv!!

It's obviously not just where you live. You can live next door to each other and pay the exact same amount but get different levels of service.

I can understand new customers getting temporary bonuses but I find it absurd that someone next door signing for Prime would get indefinite Showtime but if I changed to Prime I would lose Showtime.

This has got to be some sort of unfair business practice.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

Showtime, TMC/Flix, Encore and Starz are part of one giant mega movie package boogaloo and are not sold separately.

Then why does their site say:
showtime standalone $11.99
starz $11.99

»www22.verizon.com/home/fiosTV/#p···channels

opinionmine

1 edit
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff See Profile

For your case specifically, if you downgrade to Prime online, it MUST say "Showtime (bundle)" on the checkout/order summary. If it doesn't, you will lose it.

What makes it worse is that there is no way to tell that would occur until it is too late. It tells you to check the channels list and Showtime is listed there for Prime.

When did you find out you lost/would lose Showtime by upping your speeds. Was there a warning?

The whole thing is so odd. I was just playing with some configurations and discovered that if I kept TV as is but lowered my speed from the current 25 to 15, my bill WOULD GO UP $15 a month. And since Showtime is not listed as "included" I assume I would lose it too. How could that be explained rationally?

It's nuts. I just checked my mother's account- I thought she had Prime but it turns out she has Extreme without Showtime- and if she would lower it to Prime her bill WOULD GO UP by $20.

Where else in this World do you pay more to get less?

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

You are currently taking advantage of bundle pricing discounts which would be removed if you downgrade your speed. Same with your mom.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to dcowboy

said by dcowboy:

said by UnnDunn:

Then why does their site say:
showtime standalone $11.99
starz $11.99

»www22.verizon.com/home/fiosTV/#p···channels

Because Verizon likes to change their package configurations all the time, making me look foolish in the process. Apparently.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to opinionmine

When I ordered the faster service, the last page before finishing check out listed everything they were going to do. One line was "Remove: Showtime (bundle)". You can get all the way to this page without changing any level of service, so it will show you exactly what they're going to do.

As best as I can tell, Verizon's packages are based on years. I have Extreme HD 2012-2. When I renew/change my service online, it for some reason only offers the 2012-2 package (not any newer ones that come with HBO/Sho).

Lots of times, the 2-year agreement price is more expensive than the month-to-month in the NYC area. Make sure you look at both prices, one may be significantly lower than the other.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!