Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to weston631

Re: Check Engine Light - Knows very little about cars

gas caps are fairly cheap so if it turns out to be that than its a minimal issue.

Is it mission critical though is what I wonder. As in if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

weston631

@optonline.net
Since the CEL was reset a few days ago, I drove about 200 miles and maybe turned the car on/off 20 to 30 times.

The CEL has not come on again yet. Is that a "good sign" or do I still need to give it more driving cycles and more miles?

Thank you so much!!

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?

No and No.

In New Jersey, you would fail inspection.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to weston631
Sounds like it was just a loose gas cap.

Now you know which mechanic NOT to go to!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Kearnstd:

if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?

No and No.

In New Jersey, you would fail inspection.

Yea I know they check the gas cap on this goofy adapter thing hooked to an air compressor and a computer. Mine has never failed thankfully.

I wonder how they test those fords that have no gas cap.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
You also fail if the check engine light is on, or if the car's diagnostic port indicates a problem with the gas cap.

weston631

@optonline.net
Update:

The CEL came back on (after about 250 miles and a few days) so I brought it to the Toyota dealership.

They said the code was P0420. (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold)

I just passed inspection a few weeks earlier (before CEL came on) but they said it was just a "coincidence" it happened right after.

Is it safe to drive with this issue for several months? I'm not due for another inspection for several months and before next inspection, I rather buy a new car. I already put a lot of money into the 2003 Corolla.

They quoted me about $1700 for the new catalytic converter and “reflashing the computer”, which is also needed.

While I certainly don’t want to add to the pollution, from a mechanical point, is it perfectly safe to drive for many months and many miles?

Thank you so much!!!

spud

join:2007-03-24
Constantine, MI
Your Toyota Camry use's a heated oxygen sensor with a service life of about 100,000 miles
I'd bet the internal heater circuit in the O2 sensor isn't working right
The sensor can't produce and send the rapidly toggling voltage signal till its above 600 F
So without the heater it only works right some of the time
The OBD II system monitors converter efficiency by comparing the upstream and downstream oxygen sensor signals
O2 sensor is easy enough to check but if you have 155,000 miles on them I'd replace both
as a Regular normal car maintenance item and with a Toyota Corolla clean the mass air flow sensor
also Try a different brand of Gas then go from there it is perfectly safe to drive

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by spud:

Your Toyota Camry use's a heated oxygen sensor with a service life of about 100,000 miles
I'd bet the internal heater circuit in the O2 sensor isn't working right

There's a specific code for that. It's failed on my Corolla. I monitored the sensor operation and noted that the code posted several minutes after the O2 sensor had warmed up and was operating as normally. I'll change it at e test time.
To the OP.
For $20 you can get a Bluetooth OBDII scanner. A free smart phone app will then display the sensor operation so you can see for yourself. Sensor one should toggle high and low constantly, sensor two should not because the cat is burning the residual fuel.
If they both toggle it means the cat is not doing it's job.
As mentioned, cleaning the MAF is a good idea to avoid an ugly lean stumble. Different OBD code(s) for this.
The best thing about owning a Toyota seems to be learning how all these things work (or break).

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to weston631
said by weston631 :

Update:

The CEL came back on (after about 250 miles and a few days) so I brought it to the Toyota dealership.

They said the code was P0420. (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold)

I just passed inspection a few weeks earlier (before CEL came on) but they said it was just a "coincidence" it happened right after.

Is it safe to drive with this issue for several months? I'm not due for another inspection for several months and before next inspection, I rather buy a new car. I already put a lot of money into the 2003 Corolla.

They quoted me about $1700 for the new catalytic converter and “reflashing the computer”, which is also needed.

While I certainly don’t want to add to the pollution, from a mechanical point, is it perfectly safe to drive for many months and many miles?

Thank you so much!!!

The one auto repair place I worked at never did exhaust work. They'd go to an after market exhaust place to have the repairs done there.

Hence, I doubt your dealer will do the actual work, but send it to a local muffler shop.
So you may just want to look up exhaust repair places in your local area, or ask one of the techs at the dealer, who they would recommend. You might find the price cheaper after cutting out the middle man.

I stopped going to the dealer after the warranties on my vehicles expired. I go to a family owned chain shop. Their prices are lower then the dealer, and they have always been friendly and helpful.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.