bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to John97

Premium Member

to John97

Re: How much water does your family use in a month?

We use from 4K up to about 10K if we remember to water during the summer. 5 person household on a 7.5K ft lot with manual watering.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

No lawn watering.

I wouldn't have a lawn that couldn't live off rain only.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by DataDoc:

said by DKS:

No lawn watering.

Pouring water on the lawn while changing to LED Bulbs to be green and conserve energy.

I've read that water, not food is going to be the big item for conflict in the near future. The world's supply of usable water is running out.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

I've read that water, not food is going to be the big item for conflict in the near future. The world's supply of usable water is running out.

Depends where you live ... Live in an arid location or depends on glacial runoff, yup you'll be looking for new place to live in the not to distant future. Many locations in Florida have the highest annual rain fall in the US, water isn't an issue around here

»www.livescience.com/1558 ··· ies.html

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to John97

to John97
said by John97:

No, it's for one month and it's our first bill. They do bill monthly, I did confirm that when I set everything up after buying the house.

Ask for the previous meter readings and billing history to ensure they did not bill you for usage prior to closing.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Many locations in Florida have the highest annual rain fall in the US, water isn't an issue around here

Sorry, but only one location in the US can have the highest annual rainfall, and it's in Hawaii.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to John97

Premium Member

to John97
1-2k gallons here. We use so little that we left the kitchen faucet leaking for years. We finally replaced it when the plumbing underneath failed. No noticeable change in the water bill.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to John97

to John97

Are you sure that isn't measured in 100-gallon increments? That would make it 3,470 which would be much more realistic.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

1 edit

sailor to John97

Premium Member

to John97
From 9/1/2012 to 12/1/2012 I got billed for the minium for three months which is 7k gallons...Total bill of $13.70

I'm a family of one...Me....and that is town water....shower daily, laundry 2-3x's a week but I drink very little tap water....bill during the summer months is higher due to watering lawn and washing vehicle at least 1x a week.
nocannothave
join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA

nocannothave to John97

to John97
Billed bi-monthly.

Last seven bills:

Each unit equals 748 gallons. We average 4755 gallons per month, or 158 gallons per day. Two people, two cats, no irrigation on city water.

15 unit bill breakdown:

sewer: $40.58
water: $36.38
storm: $5.30
ambulance utility fee: $11
utility tax: $5

$49.13 per month for the heaviest usage.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to John97

Premium Member

to John97
We received notification recently that one of our properties had used in excess of 16k gallons in a single month. Seemed like a lot considering no one is living there at the moment. All because the toilet apparently didn't stop running in the basement.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to DataDoc

to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

said by DKS:

No lawn watering.

Weedkillers are also illegal. No point in watering weeds.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to John97

to John97
said by John97:

Thanks for the replies. This was my initial bill. Maybe they read the meter wrong when they started my service. I will have to keep an eye on the usage and see what we get.

Unless you have a leak somewhere, a wrong reading is a good guess. Or they're trying to stick you with the previous owner's unpaid bills.

You shouldn't be using more than 100gal per person per day unless you are doing a lot of lawn watering, or feeding a swimming pool in a drought. The two of us here in TX are on rainwater only and use (far) less than 5000g per month.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

I think 80 gallons per person per day is around normal.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to silbaco

to silbaco
On Christmas morning one of my toilets broke (little plastic piece holding the float). This turned out to be a good thing--silver lining and all, because I noticed that over the span of a few hours the tank would quickly approach empty with the intake turned off. My usage had been creeping up over the past four to six months, and it seems that this toilet using up something like 20 gallons or more per day when not even in use was the culprit. So, I'm expecting a noticeably reduced amount of usage in my next reading now that it's fixed.

Moral of the story: maybe turn off your toilets once in a while to ensure they're not doing something they shouldn't be.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Ummm... Put some food coloring in the tank and see if it leaks into the bowl?

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

1 edit

joetaxpayer to John97

to John97
3 of us - my last bill was for 24,000 gal in 3 months. This included a few days of lawn watering which is the wild card.
One round of watering is 1200gal for my lawn.

35K gal in one month is pretty high. I'd hit that if I had to water every other day for the whole month, I suppose.

Edit - laserfan's 100G/P/D seems dead on. 100*3*90= 27,000 and I was at about 24,000.
Iggy_AZ
join:2005-11-21
Surprise, AZ

Iggy_AZ

Average 6,000 gal a month
2 adults, exterior plant/tree watering system
12,000 gallon swimming pool with auto fill.

Now we live in Arizona where summers get to 110 degrees and 3 % humidity. So water evaporates quickly

Avg cost per month is $35

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to John97

Premium Member

to John97
Click for full size
Wish I could say I have an 'average' but it depends on the lawn and the pool ...

Last November, we had to replace the liner in my inground pool. That was approx ~25,000 gallons.

I then had to partially drain and refill this September before I closed it because of a wrinkle. Figure another ~15,000 gallons for that.

We also had a pretty hot summer so I had the sprinklers cranked up. Trying to rejuvenate the lawn so it needed quite a bit of water.

We're on the high side of usage for a 3-person family, but we also have company pretty much every day (my wife's a teacher) all summer.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer

said by dennismurphy:

We're on the high side of usage for a 3-person family, but we also have company pretty much every day (my wife's a teacher) all summer.

The 16K usage for the 3 months of winter look perfect, even low. I think that's the right way to judge usage. The lawn watering or pool filling create some crazy usage numbers/outliers.

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to John97

Premium Member

to John97
It looks like for the last couple months we've been between 6-12K. That's for two adults, a 4 year old and an 8 month old. We do a lot of laundry, but don't have a huge yard to water, and I've not been watering it much the last few months because we've actually had some rain.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Got another water bill today...

After leaving the irrigation off for the month, I got a bill for 7100 gallons. The bill itself is under $14.

So, it looks like I got it figured out - a leak in the irrigation system. Since having an irrigation system is new to me, I am going to have someone come check it out and give it a once-over. Then i should be able to maintain it myself going forward from that point.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Two adults, one child, 7200 gallons per month (235 gallons per day).

We are also 2 adults + 1 kid and my water bill averages just under 1 cubic meter per day which converts to 264 US gallons. It is mainly my wife running water while applying 5 different hair care products.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to John97

to John97
said by John97:

...a leak in the irrigation system.

Thanks for coming back here and letting us know.

If you learn any good methods for finding irrigation system leaks in the process, by all means tell us that too. I sometimes think I have a leak in my 2" rainwater transport pvc pipe(s), but haven't been able to find the issue despite that it rarely rains here and I oughta be able to find a wet spot in the soil!

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to John97

Premium Member

to John97
Two adults, 1 child and during the winter months, we use about 5,000 gallons per month. In the summer with the lawn watering and additional showers and laundries, we can push 20,000 gallons per month total.

I'm billed quarterly, and the bill has never been higher than $65. Winter months it's around $15.