tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

[Rant] Winter Storm Euclid...

Now naming winter storms? Can't wait until some company buys the rights to the recurring Alberta Clippers we get in the Lake states.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Related: Any particular reason why "Hurricane Sandy" keeps getting referred to as "Super Storm Sandy?"

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

Related: Any particular reason why "Hurricane Sandy" keeps getting referred to as "Super Storm Sandy?"

It was a super storm?

Tao: They (the weather channel) decided to name winter storms similarly to how they name non-winter storms to raise awareness.

»www.weather.com/news/why ··· 20121001

I guess I don't see a problem with it.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Moffetts

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Because it became non-tropical and thus was no longer a hurricane before it made landfall. The distinction is important for people filing storm-related insurance claims.

However, NHC/NWS f'ed up by not issuing hurricane warnings for New Jersey, as hurricane force winds were recorded in NJ while the storm was still classified as a hurricane. The lack of hurricane warnings caused some people to underestimate the storm's strength.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to tao

Premium Member

to tao
said by tao:

Now naming winter storms? Can't wait until some company buys the rights to the recurring Alberta Clippers we get in the Lake states.

It's easier to say "Winter Storm Euclid" than "the occluded front associated with the exceptionally low pressure area now dumping large amounts of snow on the Appalachian region while tearing up forests in the Southeast."

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Very few people are concerned with the national forecast.

Anonymark
Premium Member
join:2009-11-11
Wilmington, DE

Anonymark to psafux

Premium Member

to psafux
said by psafux:

said by Moffetts:

It was a super storm?

Tao: They (the weather channel) decided to name winter storms similarly to how they name non-winter storms to raise awareness.

I just wish they would give the storms names like:

"Snowpocolypse Deux"
"Thor's Hammer of snow"
"DeathSnow IV"
"Snowmagedden VII the end of clear streets"

That would raise awareness even more.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay to tao

MVM

to tao
One word: ratings. The Weather Channel, much like the other 24x7 news networks, is in the business of selling advertizing all at the expense of actual news reporting.

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

treetop1000 to tao

to tao
said by sonofjay:

One word: ratings. The Weather Channel, much like the other 24x7 news networks, is in the business of selling advertizing all at the expense of actual news reporting.

And this weeks sponsor is Kroger!
Supplier of all your post apocalyptic needs, Come on down! We have fresh bread, eggs, and cheese as well as whole and 2% milk in handy 1 gallon containers. Also this week on special: whole frozen turkeys at under a dollar a pound.
Grand Buttermilk Homestyle biscuits, ready to cook, $.89 each limit ten.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Anonymark

to Anonymark
said by Anonymark:

said by psafux:

said by Moffetts:

It was a super storm?

I just wish they would give the storms names like:

"Snowpocolypse Deux"
"Thor's Hammer of snow"
"DeathSnow IV"
"Snowmagedden VII the end of clear streets"

That would raise awareness even more.

I also like "Class III Killstorm"

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to sonofjay

Premium Member

to sonofjay
Had it on for about 5 minutes and how much they're trying to hype what for most affected areas is nothing out of the ordinary.

Actual quote: "The snow is up to my boot!"

Yea... Exciting stuff there...
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

They're predicting up to 24" in northern NY state.
Bob4

Bob4 to tao

to tao
Now we have Winter Storm Freyr. Sheesh!

Anonymark
Premium Member
Wilmington, DE

Anonymark

Premium Member

You mean Winter Storm "Frozen Death Cometh" I think....
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Can the people who think of these stupid names please freeze to death in a snowbank?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I would just name them all:

OMGGOTTAGETMILK&BREAD-1
OMGGOTTAGETMILK&BREAD-2

And so forth......
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I actually have a "tin foil hat" theory that supermarkets if falling into the red could get a surge of business by slipping the weather guys some hundreds to simply say the word "Snow" and people would flock to the stores without hearing anything more.

I just love how people here in the burbs stock up for winter storms like they will be snowed in for a few weeks. When the worst possible in the suburbs is being snowed in for a day.

Heck when I lived in Danbury, CT even the few really bad storms with a few feet of snow the city DOT had our road plowed usually with in six hours of storm end, and plows went by during the storm too.

Anonymark
Premium Member
Wilmington, DE

Anonymark to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
We got 1/4" of snow last night in Winter Storm Frozen Death Cometh IV. I went outside and spent 2 hours shoveling it into a snow pile so I could lay down and freeze to death. It melted.....

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
Yep...and most people don't realize how much food they have in stock already.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

There was a shortage of Chips Ahoy! cookies after Hurricane Sandy. I went to multiple stores, but no one had any. Then I saw the Nabisco truck put up to the supermarket loading dock. So I came back 2 hours later and go the cookies. Yea!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

But, did you have enough milk for those cookies?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Actually, yes. Milk wasn't a problem. I had a Styrofoam cooler and ice that I got from Wegmans on Wednesday morning.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Yep...and most people don't realize how much food they have in stock already.

I also love that people stock up on perishables when a storm that might knock out power comes. Especially in the summer storms its funny to see people stock up on milk.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Moffetts:

Because it became non-tropical and thus was no longer a hurricane before it made landfall. The distinction is important for people filing storm-related insurance claims.

Nope. Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) remain hurricanes (tropical cyclones) as long as the originated in the tropical oceans and maintain there hurricane like qualities.

Hurricanes are solely named because of where they originate.

Back in 1996, a 'cyclone' developed over Lake Huron (between Michigan and Ontario), however, despite having tropical storm like properties, it could not be called a hurricane (if it got to that strength) or tropical storm because it didn't originate in the tropics.

The referred to this storm as "Hurricane Huron" but it was more or less a thingamabobbercane.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by J E F F4:

said by Bob4:

said by Moffetts:

Nope. Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) remain hurricanes (tropical cyclones) as long as the originated in the tropical oceans and maintain there hurricane like qualities.

Wrong. Sandy became "extratropical" before landfall. It was no longer a hurricane.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I see your point regarding that Sandy might have been extratropical when it hit New York. But hurricanes remain hurricanes regardless where there are after forming as long as they have sustained hurricane force winds. Now I feel like a meteorological nerd. Thanks.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Click for full size
No watches/warnings for NJ or NY
The big problem is that the NHC never issued any tropical storm or hurricane watches/warnings for Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, or New York, even though NJ/NY experienced hurricane force winds. Because of this technical difference between tropical and extratropical systems, some people underestimated the strength of the storm.

The bonus is that insurance companies aren't allowed to activate the higher hurricane deductibles.
Bob4

Bob4 to J E F F4

to J E F F4
And here you go. The storm was still over the ocean with winds well over hurricane-force, but was no longer a hurricane:
quote:
POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012
700 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...
...CENTER EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO...

SUMMARY OF 700 PM EDT...2300 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...39.1N 74.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM ENE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM S OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

AS INDICATED IN THE 5 PM DISCUSSION...SATELLITE...RADAR...AND
AIRCRAFT DATA INDICATE THAT SANDY HAS CONTINUED TO LOSE TROPICAL
CHARACTERISTICS. NHC IS NOW DESIGNATING SANDY AS A POST-TROPICAL
CYCLONE. IN ADDITION...THE MAXIMUM WINDS HAVE DECREASED SLIGHTLY
AND ARE NOW NEAR 85 MPH...140 KM/H.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

The bonus is that insurance companies aren't allowed to activate the higher hurricane deductibles.

I heard something about that....people have to be careful how they run their insurance, to have: "incl. all perils"
J E F F4

J E F F4 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
AHA!

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu ··· ane_Juan

Only Atlantic Canada....

This conversation really needs to be in the pub or cooler...LOL.