All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
compactmedia
join:2010-02-02

compactmedia

[CATV] Better Cox HD STB

Ever since switching to the non DVR HD set top box, I have had nothing but trouble. Cox has provided me with multiple Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC units that last maybe a month or two until it breaks. Twice so far I have gotten a defective unit right off the bat. One I picked up from a store and another a tech brought himself.

I never had a problem with the 8240HD but I have no need for DVR service anymore. Every single 4240HDC Cox has provided has had a label on the bottom marked as a repaired former defective unit as well.

Is there any better type I could ask for? One Cox tech offered me an older HD box but it didn't have HDMI. I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

Only other box with HDMI is a 4642.

A bunch of bad 4240's going bad seems odd. Those are the only boxes I really trust.

How are they failing?
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to compactmedia

to compactmedia
we have been through the same thing countless boxes swapped due to faulty units and same model as you described
compactmedia
join:2010-02-02

compactmedia to Anonguy

to Anonguy
said by Anonguy :

Only other box with HDMI is a 4642.

A bunch of bad 4240's going bad seems odd. Those are the only boxes I really trust.

How are they failing?

I will see if I can get a 4642.

They just die, no power, or no picture. Sometimes there are some signs before it completely dies, like the box just powering off while watching or the picture freezing up requiring the plug to be physically pulled out and reset.

I have had multiple technicians come out. They thought maybe there was something wrong with my setup. Nothing is wrong. The big issue is these boxes are already pretty old (everything I have been receiving has had manufacturing dates between 2004 and 2006) and have already been marked as defective and repaired multiple times. Whatever the repair process is doesn't seem to be working.

nybill38
@cox.net

nybill38

Anon

most of the Cox STB are junk and very old. Ever see the way these boxes are treated at the stores? Its no wonder they don't work. When I was with Cox I had nothing but trouble with their boxes
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by nybill38 :

most of the Cox STB are junk and very old. Ever see the way these boxes are treated at the stores? Its no wonder they don't work. When I was with Cox I had nothing but trouble with their boxes

. They aren't old. As the dct 2000's. Plus is using newer hardware which has no analog tuner.

nybill38
@cox.net

nybill38

Anon

2004 is a pretty old for electronic equipment, the last box I had was 2001