spc
uniqs
NateEaton
join:2004-12-05
Mesquite, TX

NateEaton to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

We just swapped out our DCX3400 for a DCX3510. While it's great to have connectivity from our phones/tablets, we're beginning to wonder if we made a mistake.

1. Of all the things that have ticked us off, we had Dr. Who set to record this evening and it appeared to be recording but afterwards the only thing on the DVR was another show that recorded at the same time on the other tuner. Of course, I'd messed with the remote so wife assumes I must have done something to cancel the recording. More on that in next point.

2. While Dr. Who was recording, there didn't appear to be any way to watch it from the start. We could watch it from the current live point in the recording but the menu options didn't list any way to Play. We had swapped to other tuner, started watching something else after the show recording there finished and I'd swapped bak to see whether just hitting Select brought up the little pop-up menu for Start Over but it didn't.
Ironically, after another show started recording, we checked again and this time there was an additional option on the menu for Play that would let us watch from beginning while it was recording. What the heck?

3. Before, we had up to two weeks of future programming available. I was ticked off when on the new box it only appears to have 7 days. The TW tech who was helping get the box activated after I plugged it in (it at first had the XAIT Received message) said that some boxes appear to have 7 and some 14. What's up with that? Should I try swapping this one out a few times before we have a bunch of stuff recorded till I find one that supports 14 days in the guide?

4. With iGuide, we could switch from a view that had all channels for the current time to one that had all times for a given channel. That became a mode we used a lot. In Navigator, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent. I did find that on my Android phone in the TWC TV app I have both of those views though on our iPad there is just the "all channels for current time" view.

5. On Demand under Navigator is RADICALLY different. I suspect we'll eventually get used to it but it would help to have any tips people can share on how to make the most of it. While I'm typing on this, my wife was looking for something so I talked her through finding in "new" On Demand. She found the program but episode she wanted wasn't there so she wanted to "exit" On Demand... the only way she could find to is to just pick some non-On Demand channel and enter it by number in the remote. Any better way to "get out" of the new On Demand?

6. I thought one of the benefits of having a MOCA box would be that from our phones/tablets we could not only watch live TV, check the guide, set things to record while away from home, etc. but would also be able to watch something that was recording on the DVR. That doesn't appear to be an option. Are we just doing something wrong or is that not an available feature?

7. The 3510 has optical digital audio but not coax so since my digital A/V receiver only has one optical port and I use it to connect our media server, I am now looking for some alternative way to pipe digital audio from the STB through the A/V receiver.

Also, a question... based on the Motorola installation guide for the DCX3510, it sounds like it will use MPEG4 to record anything on channel 350 or greater and that by doing so the 500GB drive has a capacity of around 100 hours instead of 60 hours for HD content. Is that correct?

I could probably go on - the phone/tablet access is cool, the new guide is fast, the guide loaded up in minutes after TW reset the box instead of taking hours or days - but the issues above plus others are some serious trade-offs compared to what we had with the DCX3400 and iGuide.

Thanks,
Nathan

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by NateEaton:

We just swapped out our DCX3400 for a DCX3510. While it's great to have connectivity from our phones/tablets, we're beginning to wonder if we made a mistake.

1. Of all the things that have ticked us off, we had Dr. Who set to record this evening and it appeared to be recording but afterwards the only thing on the DVR was another show that recorded at the same time on the other tuner. Of course, I'd messed with the remote so wife assumes I must have done something to cancel the recording. More on that in next point.

2. While Dr. Who was recording, there didn't appear to be any way to watch it from the start. We could watch it from the current live point in the recording but the menu options didn't list any way to Play. We had swapped to other tuner, started watching something else after the show recording there finished and I'd swapped bak to see whether just hitting Select brought up the little pop-up menu for Start Over but it didn't.
Ironically, after another show started recording, we checked again and this time there was an additional option on the menu for Play that would let us watch from beginning while it was recording. What the heck?

3. Before, we had up to two weeks of future programming available. I was ticked off when on the new box it only appears to have 7 days. The TW tech who was helping get the box activated after I plugged it in (it at first had the XAIT Received message) said that some boxes appear to have 7 and some 14. What's up with that? Should I try swapping this one out a few times before we have a bunch of stuff recorded till I find one that supports 14 days in the guide?

4. With iGuide, we could switch from a view that had all channels for the current time to one that had all times for a given channel. That became a mode we used a lot. In Navigator, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent. I did find that on my Android phone in the TWC TV app I have both of those views though on our iPad there is just the "all channels for current time" view.

5. On Demand under Navigator is RADICALLY different. I suspect we'll eventually get used to it but it would help to have any tips people can share on how to make the most of it. While I'm typing on this, my wife was looking for something so I talked her through finding in "new" On Demand. She found the program but episode she wanted wasn't there so she wanted to "exit" On Demand... the only way she could find to is to just pick some non-On Demand channel and enter it by number in the remote. Any better way to "get out" of the new On Demand?

6. I thought one of the benefits of having a MOCA box would be that from our phones/tablets we could not only watch live TV, check the guide, set things to record while away from home, etc. but would also be able to watch something that was recording on the DVR. That doesn't appear to be an option. Are we just doing something wrong or is that not an available feature?

7. The 3510 has optical digital audio but not coax so since my digital A/V receiver only has one optical port and I use it to connect our media server, I am now looking for some alternative way to pipe digital audio from the STB through the A/V receiver.

Also, a question... based on the Motorola installation guide for the DCX3510, it sounds like it will use MPEG4 to record anything on channel 350 or greater and that by doing so the 500GB drive has a capacity of around 100 hours instead of 60 hours for HD content. Is that correct?

I could probably go on - the phone/tablet access is cool, the new guide is fast, the guide loaded up in minutes after TW reset the box instead of taking hours or days - but the issues above plus others are some serious trade-offs compared to what we had with the DCX3400 and iGuide.

Thanks,
Nathan

14 day guide is not available on the DCX3510 it is a software design flaw of navigator only iGuide supports it.
NateEaton
join:2004-12-05
Mesquite, TX

NateEaton

said by motorola870:

said by NateEaton:

14 day guide is not available on the DCX3510 it is a software design flaw of navigator only iGuide supports it.

Thanks. I saw elsewhere that features of Navigator vary by version, including the 7 day guide issue. Perhaps some day we'll see that change with a software upgrade to Navigator?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

While the guide in most cases is stored on the box I don't believe we will see that.

Hob