Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Can't insert replacement wheel studs - 05 Hyundai Accent

Click for full size
When going to put newly purchased snow tires on my car, I found two of the wheel studs to be stripped/overtorqued. I took off the rotor thinking I'd be able to just pop out the old stud and in with the new ones, but there's no break in this brake dust shield to do it. I tried bending it back but there is still barely not enough room without possibly damaging the new stud/hole. Any ideas where to go from here? I was told by someone to remove the hub, but I can't find a haynes or chilton book for this car anywhere local and unfortunately don't have time to wait for it to ship. All I need is to replace these two wheel studs and I'm golden! Do I need to rent a hub removal tool...? If so, I'm more than happy to - I just don't want to go spending money when I am not sure, and am so limited on time. I appreciate any insight!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA

Any thoughts ?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I'm not a Hyundai expert so I laid back---

First, how did you get the old ones out? Cut them off? If you were able to fish them out, then the new ones should go in the same way. If the new studs are a bit longer than the originals, then you may have the incorrect part.

I've never run into one where I had to remove the hub, but it may be the case here. However, the hub is likely bolted in from the back, and *some* are permanently damaged by removing them, so I'd like someone experienced in this model to come along.

Elthesh

join:2001-12-01
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Cody

I know nothing about this specific vehicle, but looking at it, can't you just pull the cotter pin, undo the castle nut and slide the hub off a bit? Insert the new studs loosely, reinstall the castle nut and pin properly and then tighten down the studs? If it works the way it looks, you may not even need to completely remove the castle nut. Just loosen it enough to slide the studs in.

Also, just a question, but how did you get the old studs out? I ask since you can't get the new ones back in the same way. I'd guess the new ones aren't factory and some aftermarket ones that are a bit longer maybe, but still curious.

As an added word of advice, I'd honestly recommend using a new cotter pin and possible regreasing the bearings in the hub area if you do undo the castle nut. Unless you know when the last time they were regreased and it wasn't all that long ago. The cotter pin, just because bending it back and forth to remove it weakens the pin regardless of how new/old it is.

Me, with that many studs going bad for whatever reason, I'd likely just replace the remaining... two?... it looks like since you're doing half the studs anyway.

Codys phone

@myvzw.com

Thank you both. The old ones came out because they were shorter (snapped) while taking the wheel off due to being cross threaded. The hub doesn't want to easily come off, and since I'm not familiar enough with how it's on there, I didn't want to use the hub puller (especially since I can only mount one side of it) too hard and possibly damage my half shaft in the process. I bought grease, so we're good there. I can't find any bolts opposite the hub so I don't know why it's so difficult to get off, and that's what's preventing me from going further. My axle slides out of it just fine. I'm starting to wonder if I take it to les schwab (tire center) first thing in the AM if they can replace these for a reasonable amount... I'd obviously prefer to do it myself since I'm so close and have the parts, though. To clarify: the hub puller is not used to push the axle out, but to use the axle to dislodge the hub, correct?

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Here is a wiki on Hyundai's with photos and explanation. Does not say year or model, though.

»hyundai.wikia.com/wiki/How_To_Re···eel_Stud

hope this is what you are looking for...

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thank you for that; I saw it when I was prepping to do mine, but unfortunately where that one (and seemingly all other cars) have a clearing in the brake dust shield for the needed clearance, mine does not. I am turning in for the night and hoping a tire shop will have better luck in the morning. I really appreciate the input from everyone, even if I couldn't get this darned thing in!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Expand your moderator at work

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to Cody

Re: Can't insert replacement wheel studs - 05 Hyundai Accent

That has a press-in wheel bearing, so the hub will not easily come off. You also can't take it apart and repack them as you would tapered roller bearings.

If you do pull the hub out to replace the studs, it would be best to replace the bearing, as the front inner race will likely stick on the hub and be ripped out of the body of the bearing. I've put them back together after that on personal vehicles with no issues, but that's not the best or correct way to do it.

That being said, I've also cut part of the base of the stud off in order to get them in place before, when you only need that extra 1/8" clearance for them to fit. That was on personal vehicles, and I never had a problem with it (they still seat and torque properly), but again, not the proper way to do it.

There are some vehicles I've found where the hub did have to be pulled out of the bearing to replace studs (a lot of Subaru rear hubs are like that, because of the ABS reluctor ring bolted to the backside of the hub).

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cody

Click for full size
Thanks for the input Got the new studs and a new set of snow tires and made it up to the condo with ease! My first set of snow tires, I'm super impressed. My car is pretty light so I still expected it to have a tendency to spin when I'm not feathering the clutch and throttle, but I had absolutely no problems!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH