Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to darklobe

Re: [Speed] IPv4 vs IPv6 Speed Test

said by darklobe :

How did you get those fast upload speeds. Is that because of business class connection?

It is just PowerBoost on steroids, and possibly having business class contributes to that, but based on these threads:

»[Speed] [BUSINESS CLASS] 12/2 or 22 Tier After Upgrade

»[Business] [POLL] Do you have the new 15/3 or 27/7 business spee

some business class customers now seem to have lost upstream PowerBoost completely.

It appears from my own testing to be a combination of PowerBoost and the upstream bonding algorithms that Comcast is using in the CMTS to which I connect. If I temporarily use my old DOCSIS2 D-Link DCM202 (which of course, does not have channel bonding), my upstream speed stays between 3-5 mbps, but the downstream speed still shows PowerBoost peaks of 20+ mbps. And FWIW, the old DCM202 does get a business class "c05" config file, so just having a business class connection is not the primary thing that triggers the crazy upstream PowerBoost.

My own personal preference would be (especially for business class accounts) to allow a customer selected option to either allow or disable PowerBoost. PowerBoost really complicates the job of any device or application that tries to do QoS rate limiting based on detected network speed. I understand why Comcast marketing loves PowerBoost (it is a clever marketing gimmick), but for many network applications it is a big problem, not a "free" benefit. If my old DCM202 supported native dual stack IPv4/IPv6, I would probably use it as my primary modem instead of a hot swap spare since it seems to have a more sensible PowerBoost implementation.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.