share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: Bitdefender Free

I had Bit Defender free version back around 2005-2007. At that time it was an on demand scanner only. I used it for about two years as my only AV (before I got Avira free version). BD forced an upgrade from version 9 to 9.5 which caused a BSOD on XP Pro at boot. I contacted BD by email and they immediately blamed Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search and Destroy (which was NOT using Tea Timer). BD had insisted I use their software they sent me to gather information about my computer so that is how they knew I was using Spyware Blaster and Spybot). They demanded I uninstall both of them.

I replied and said that I had researched the issue and had learned that their driver had a long history of causing BSOD's on boot and that XP (and Microsoft's Windows Debugger) told me the cause was their driver and I asked when they planned to fix the problem, said I would not remove either program, and said I would go back to version 9 of BD free that did not cause a BSOD. I could not believe the reply I got which was (A) I was required to remove the other two softwares and (B) it was not possible to go back to version 9 because BD would immediately force an upgrade to 9.5 with the buggy driver. So, I unnstalled BD and have never used it since.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson