Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua

Re: I wouldn't

One would want to root an Android phone to unlock features that carriers typically lock to charge customers extra for. Rooted phones let you install different ROM's that often run much better than stock and without the carrier-issued bloatware.

The advent of rooting is really what made AT&T and Verizon switch to bucket-o-byte pricing. Aside from exponential increase in network traffic, carriers cannot tell who's tethering or not. And God forbid the customer has the one up on them.

My older rooted and unlocked GSM phone lets me use SIMPLE Mobile's $50 all-you-can-eat plan as a wifi hotspot and as a USB modem. Yes, just $50 on the nose. Try doing that with big blue or big red.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by tired_runner:

Yes, just $50 on the nose. Try doing that with big blue or big red.

If your in an area with good CDMA(VZW) coverage, simple mobile is the way to go, and if your in an area with good Tmo/AT&T coverage, Straighttalk for $45 per month is the way to go.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

One would want to root an Android phone to unlock features that carriers typically lock to charge customers extra for. Rooted phones let you install different ROM's that often run much better than stock and without the carrier-issued bloatware.

Example, not paying for what use to be PAM service (phone as modem) and "tethering it" to a laptop so you can surf the net at will. Or, making it a wifi hotspot, (another charge) allowing freeloaders to use your phone as a router or allowing kids access while driving down the highway so they can play games online.

It's akin to removing macro-vision from a movie so you can play it through certain devices or make a copy. In a nut shell, it's for avoiding payment for services that big cell likes to charge you for.