Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to jjoshua

Re: I wouldn't

said by jjoshua:

Why would someone need to root their phone? Is it not already "open" enough? I have one so help me understand why I might want to root my phone?

Isn't it a problem when modifying the phone could impact phone service to the point where you can't make a call when you need to?

Phone service is regulated by the FCC so I can see why an operator who is running custom software would not want you to tinker with the device.

Most people root their phones to use functionality that their carrier has locked(for instance, thethering on the iphone is a native capability of the device, but carriers continue to block it unless you "pay" for the grace of using something you phone can do already). If you have ever purchased a phone from someone like net10 or straighttalk, you would understand that these phones are crippled on purpose so that people cannot fully use the services they pay for. I jailbroke my iphone to use it on ST wireless a long time ago, and have enjoyed tethering, along with unlimited data, minutes, and text, without ever having heard so much as a peep from them. The other side of the coin is that if you root your Republic Wireless phone, its likely they will not be able to throttle or track or monitor the phone itself. Remember CarrierIQ? yea, im guessing they use something like that to improve(track) the service of each customer. I don't blame people for getting rid of carrier bloatware on their phones.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
I already have unlimited talk, data, and text.

It seems like a nice phone and I have access to Google Play. What am I missing?

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by jjoshua:

I already have unlimited talk, data, and text.

It seems like a nice phone and I have access to Google Play. What am I missing?

Most carrier phones are filled with bloatware, and are crippled so that you cannot use its full functionality.