uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

WX Channel causes confusion

Ok, so I was sitting here this morning and the WX Channel was talking about winter storm Euclid. WTF???

I first thought that the NWS was going nuts by now naming winter storms. But after a quick Google, I found out, just as I really thought, that the WX Channel is causing hype and confusion.

Found this article from November:

When you learned this week that parts of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic region were hit with Winter Storm Athena, your first thought was undoubtedly concern for those still suffering the devastating consequences of Hurricane Sandy.

If your second thought was confusion since you didn't know that winter storms were named, then blame the Weather Channel since it unilaterally instituted a naming system that promises to cause more confusion than it's worth.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-yeag···982.html

TO me, these types of companies ARE the ones that need to be regulated to NWS standards of reporting weather. This is worse than their TORCON Index crap they came up with.

On a side note, I see they are starting to crap on Weather Underground now. The changes to the wundermap suck!!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Well this storm did have near hurricane force winds, and Tornados in the south. Impacted much of the country with major rain or snow, so was definitely significant.

My question is do the have a set criteria to name them or not?

And this was E... don't remember 4 other biggies like this before this season.
--

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
The only set criteria is what the Weather Channel has made up in their little pea brains. This is NOT a standard that the National Weather Service or anyone else has ratified or uses. This is solely something that the Weather Channel has started using on its own like their ridiculous Torcon Index.

This is all about creating hype for financial gain and nothing to do with REAL weather forecasting or reporting.

A link to an article about how the rest of the weather community feels about this absurd naming of winter storms.

»www.examiner.com/article/weather···-network

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to ropeguru
The "TORCON" thing is kinda cheesy, and TWC has evolved into too much hype and overkill in reporting.

I agree that they should stick to NWS standards, but also note that Europe has named their winter storms since the 1950s.

Given the damage that's being done by them, perhaps the NWS should consider naming winter storm systems that reach some specified criteria. The Blizzard of '78 and the Nor'easter of 1991 would surely qualify if they do.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Maybe so. But until the NWS does change the national standard, the WX Channel needs to quit trying to make their own.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

4 edits
Well VERY soon after moving to KW 18 years ago weaned myself from WX Ch.... and went to the real sources, and having pilot training must have WX knowledge to pass test...

Quickly moved from that BS to reality... the Navy and NWS offices/web sites... NWS 2 blocks down the street (though until 2005 was at the airport) can't get a much more local forecast than that....and hey questions just go knock on the door or give them a call.

Before the new Cat 5 resistant NWS office was built.... they wanted to abandon KW and make it all remote control from Miami....

There was maybe never such outrage in the Keys... and congress never so deluged by so many of so few. (Not just our reps but across the board any involved)
Hey we don't get much from our tax dollars but that is THE CRITICAL ONE.

And actually it was governmental months... but pretty much a HUGE OOPS. Legislative STUPID relatively instantly reversed within a year(even under G W Bushwhacked) and the new reality of weather really maters.

The NWS is critical to the Keys... as well as early warning to the Gulf that Miami just can't quite see especially when links fail. And there has been a WX station here long before Miami or the NHC ever existed... well actually NVS just had. (1870)

BTW in Andrew when NHC radar blew off the roof the data they were still getting was from KW (albeit then slowly through analog modems) and because it was humanly manned.

Even though as compact as Andrew was CNN was saying KW might be gone... though reality barely touched and where loss of NHC local radar their data was actually coming from. (and always wanting to be sensational as possible... just did realize the maybe in that day slow 56K real data coming out of KW NHC had no capacity for any more at that point.

And also BTW both from those I have meant from it maybe going away and those staff after... thank you for making this weather station remain.
Not Just a pleasant place to work but an very important one as well. To civilians, maritime, and fishing interests alike.

And sadly its happening again many area NOAA maritime marine stations and buoys failing because of simple lack of maintenance/funding... which NWS also takes tidal data from but only sporadically can anymore or for that matter area shipping.

--

screavan

join:2012-11-27
Pearcy, AR
reply to ropeguru
I have to side with you there »www.weather.com/services/notify_···ndefined charging $7-10 / month for something as simple as email alerts. I provide the service for free as it's a simple task really even provide a weekly forecast for the users selected areas activated for forecast. I'm working on building a API to work with GOogle Voice and send text messaging too but that's on the back burner because personal things happened this holiday and financial worries.