uniqs
share rss forum feed

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

Intuit Quickbase

Is anyone familiar with Quickbase from Intuit? I have a client looking into it, however he'd rather have something that can be hosted in house on his own hardware. Instead of relying on someone "in the cloud". So what is quickbase and what are some comparable products?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Its clear from the product information page of Quickbase its a cloud based product that generates its revenue from monthly recurring charges, no options for self hosting.

Similar products, all use the same model and none have the option for self hosting, as that's the business model

»www.caspio.com/application-platform/

»www.eunify.net/

»www.zoho.com/reports/

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick

What is the idea behind the product? I mean I can read the product page which I have. But I'm still not 100% sure exactly what it does and why there isn't a comparable product that doesn't rely upon the cloud.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Edrick

Lego block business application / database .. sure one can do this with a myriad of tools like mysql / java or MS dot net. The money is in the recurring fees instead of purchasing tools or free stuff like mysql and java.

So a new business model is make simpler tools but get paid for the development by doing all the back end, which the target clients don't have the knowledge or investment to have OLTP which has complex risk management needs.

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick

Interesting, would FileMaker be a comparative product? It's defiantly not a project I'm taking on as I haven't the foggiest clue with it. However they asked me to find out more.