Search similar:

uniqs
marksy
join:2012-12-26
Whitby, ON

marksy

[Cable] Teksavvy and FreePhoneLine.ca not working together

Hey all,

Happy Holidays. However, mine has been without a home phone since 3pm Dec 24.

I started my Teksavvy cable service on the 20th and pretty much immediately had intermittent service with FreePhoneLine. One of the FPL techs had me reset my ATA device and now I have absolutely no home phone service.

Here is where I'm at (with 2 FPL numbers):

If I call out to an external number or cell, from either of my 2 FPL numbers, the other end rings but no ringing or voices are heard on my end
If I call one line from the other, no ringing on either phone, nothing for 30 seconds then voice mail picks up (and the call is recorded in my ATA device)
If I call either FPL number from another line (or cell) it rings twice then a fast busy signal.

Teksavvy insists it is a FPL issue and of course FPL insists it is a Teksavvy issue, making me feel really comfortable right now.

My main question here; FPL is telling me that I have to open up port 5060 on the Thomson DCM476 modem. which they say is locked by default. It is already opened on my Linksys router.

Teksavvy insists all ports on the modem are not locked and are open.

Does anyone know? I cannot seem to find anything at all on this modem, leading me to believe Teksavvy. However, all of the problems started once I switched the modem. Before that I had uninterrupted service for over 2 years.

Thanks.
pablob
join:2010-07-09
Montreal, QC

pablob

For what it's worth (not much, I know!), I am not having any problems with TekSavvy DSL and FPL right now.

Can you register a PC softphone to FPL? That might give you more information...

JonF
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

JonF to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
Hello,

I cannot speak for FPL, But with our tektalk service, when something like this happens it means that the ATA is not connecting to the SIP server.

Can you send me the server that you are connecting too? I do not need your username or password.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

The FPL server should be voip.freephoneline.ca

JonF
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JonF to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
IF that's the proxy, Everything is working on our end. Could you try pinging to voip.freephoneline.ca

Pinging fplproxy.fongo.com [208.65.240.165] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 208.65.240.165: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 208.65.240.165:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 7ms

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
By the way, marksy, you might want to try asking your question over here as well: »VOIP Tech Chat

It sounds like something somewhere is blocked or behind a firewall. My guess is it's a hardware setting somewhere and the people there are usually very quick in figuring this out.
marksy
Whitby, ON

marksy

Thanks Ekster I will do that.

BTW, John that ping works fine and my ATA registers with FPL every 3600 seconds without fail.

I do have voip.freephoneline.ca set as the proxy.

JonF
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JonF to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
Hmmm... I'm at a loss then... I would start with the soft phone idea, and see where that leads.
marksy
Whitby, ON

marksy

I have PM's pablob as he said his FPL is working fine with Teksavvy (which makes me feel a little better.

Teksavvy suggested putting the ATA in front of my router (but it has never been). My ATA only has one ethernet connection so this is not possible. But if I need to get a new one I will. Just very confused and frustrated.

Thanks for the suggestions and help all, it is appreciated.

JonF
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JonF to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
no problem, Keep me posted. I want to make sure everything is working properly for you.
Xuhum
Premium Member
join:2007-10-05
Canada

Xuhum to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
I've had FPL for over a year now on TSI Cable, there's been some issues lately with FPL but this is probably the 2nd time they've had issues with their SIP server since I've been with them.
marksy
Whitby, ON

marksy

Xuhum,

If it works for you, what modem do you have? Is it the Thomson DCM 476?

Also, is your ATA in front of or behind the router?

Lastly, if it is behind, what ports have you forwarded?

I have a Linksys PAP2 ata and a Linksys WRT54GS router.

Teksavvy support said to put the ata in front of the router, but I only have one ethernet connection on the ata as well as the modem so it would be the only connection I could use.

If you can, can you either post or PM me?
Xuhum
Premium Member
Canada

Xuhum to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy
I have a PAP2T-NA in-front of my router, used to have it behind and it worked fine too but I figured in-front would be better with it's own IP.
This guide looks good »voipfan.net/ATAs/PAP2_fr ··· line.php
- NAT Mapping Enable: yes
- NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
being the most important, didn't need to port forward when I was behind but you can try forwarding port 5060.
To put it in-front I'm just using a switch.
My modem is SB6120.
marksy
Whitby, ON

marksy

What do you mean you are using a switch. Just a 4 port?

So line from the modem to the switch, ATA and router into the switch?
Xuhum
Premium Member
Canada

Xuhum

Premium Member

Yea, that's exactly what I'm doing.
Although when I want to have access to the ATA's GUI I have to plug it back into the router.

Teknowiz
join:2010-06-21
Canada

Teknowiz to marksy

to marksy
I also started having issues with FreePhoneLine.ca on Teksavvy cable around 2 months ago when Teksavvy did some DNS server changes. Not sure if that is what caused the problem since it started all of a sudden with no config changes on my. Since issue started, I have tried so many different config changes, port forwards, DMZ, swapping routers, etc and nothing seemed to help. Issue seems to be that at time of registration expiration, the ATA (PAP2-NA) tries to register again but fails with error message "Can't connect to login server". The same ATA has another line running Teksavvy TekTalk and that line does not have this issue. When issue does occur, resetting the ATA seems to resolve the issue until next registration interval. So far the only thing that seemed to help reduce the symptoms is to up the registration intervals so issue does not happen as often since registration does not happen as often.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson to marksy

to marksy
You can get two IPs from a cable modem so that's why a switch in front of the router works. However I'd not do that unless nothing else works. First question is does the ATA web interface show registration? Is the problem that it looses reg after a period? Or one way audio etc?

You should never need port forwarding for an ATA. It's little different than your PC using NAT through the router except that it's UDP and in the old days NAT was troublesome with SIP. These days it shouldn't be a problem if the router firmware is reasonably new.

It's either a config issue at the ATA and/or router, or it's an issue at the provider. That's the free service you can use on an ATA with a one time fee right? I used to use the free service to bounce google voice off and forward to a real SIP account but that Alberta loophole has been closed recently so perhaps other things have changed.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

I used to use the free FPL client but that thing was bugging out so bad for whatever reason on my PC that I decided to cough up the $50 so I could use XLite instead. In my personal experience, XLite is easily 10X more reliable than FPL's in-house client.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

What hardware are you using?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by J E F F4:

What hardware are you using?

Router? WRT54GSv2 with Toastman Mini-IPv6 firmware.

For the SIP client, I'm using X-Lite 5 softphone on my PC.

While using a PC-based softphone is annoying when calls come in while the screen is locked out or off, I very much like being able to use my PC headset instead of an actual phone so looking for an ATA, IP-phone or WiFi-phone dropped off my priority list at least for now.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Okay, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if x-lite had hardware for connecting to the SIP. I'm still researching for ATA, not sure who sip hardware to buy. Seems that overall, buying your own hardware and configuring it, rather than having it shipped out configured already, is the better way.

Although I do have a MagicJackPlus for the second line, other than 90 minute time limits, it's been pretty flawless, although their billing is very odd. My phone stopped working, despite that I was charged $29 for the year -- turns out they didn't charge the $10 for the Canadian number, which I did separately.
marksy
Whitby, ON

1 edit

marksy to vikingisson

to vikingisson
My modem is a Thomson DCM476
Router is a Linksys WRT54GS
ATA is a Linksys PAP2T with DD-WRT firmware

It was sporadic when I first hooked up the modem on Dec 20, but when I reset my ATA (on the advice of a FPL tech) is when I started getting no ringing and no service at all)

Before switching modems this service worked almost without issue for over 2 years......

I should also add, that my PAP2 ATA device registers and never fails registering with FPL, which is what makes this even more confusing and frustrating.

When I pick up either line, I get dial tone and can dial. From there though nothing happens......
chogo
join:2011-05-19
Ottawa

chogo to marksy

to marksy
I recommend hooking the modem directly to the ATA and check if the phones now work and if so then it is a router issue.

Check your ATA configuration using »forum.fongo.com/viewtopi ··· 15&t=310
Riazg
join:2005-01-01
North York, ON

Riazg to marksy

to marksy
I have FPL with Teksavvy cable for 3 years and it's been working very well. There were some issues a couple of days ago with FPL not registering properly, but that was posted in the FPL forums and users were advised of the outage. I am using a Netgear WNR3500L with Toastman's Tomato firmware and a LinkSys PAP2 v2.
marksy
Whitby, ON

marksy

[Cable] Teksavvy/FreePhoneLine.ca not working - **RESOLVED**

Gershe at FPL discussions offered up the following:

For those using PAP2 adapter:

Goto: Line 1 tab and make sure following settings are set as follows:
NAT Mapping Enable: YES NAT Keep Alive Enable: YES
NAT Keep Alive Msg: $NOTIFY NAT Keep Alive Dest: $PROXY

Goto: SIP Tab (bottom):
Handle VIA received: YES Handle VIA rport: YES
Insert VIA received: YES Insert VIA rport: YES

Let me know if it helps please.

I changed these settings and both of my lines now are able to send and receive phone calls. Ironically they cannot call each other (ringing but no voices), but I am not sure that will ever be an issue.

For all the PM`d me and offered suggestions here, thank you very much!
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

1 edit

julienvf

said by marksy:

Gershe at FPL discussions offered up the following:

For those using PAP2 adapter:

Goto: Line 1 tab and make sure following settings are set as follows:
NAT Mapping Enable: YES NAT Keep Alive Enable: YES
NAT Keep Alive Msg: $NOTIFY NAT Keep Alive Dest: $PROXY

Goto: SIP Tab (bottom):
Handle VIA received: YES Handle VIA rport: YES
Insert VIA received: YES Insert VIA rport: YES

Let me know if it helps please.

I changed these settings and both of my lines now are able to send and receive phone calls. Ironically they cannot call each other (ringing but no voices), but I am not sure that will ever be an issue.

For all the PM`d me and offered suggestions here, thank you very much!

Having the same problem with Teksavvy in Vidéotron land. I was able to dig that problem up: Plugged the ATA straight to the modem and it works BUT any router will give me the same problem even if ATA is set up as DMZ host or I do proper port forwarding. I tried 2 different TP-Link routers and a Linksys E1000. As for ATA's, I tried a PAP2T-NA and a new Cisco SPA112. I even tried what you just said with both ATA's on multiple routers with no luck. Tomorrow, I'm going to try a SPA122 plugged straight on the modem because my SPA112 worked in plugged straight on the modem.

Trace route to voip.freephoneline.ca is:

Détermination de l'itinéraire vers fplproxy.fongo.com [208.65.240.165]
avec un maximum de 30 sauts :

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.10.1.1
2 9 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.245.205.65
3 28 ms 23 ms 23 ms 10.170.179.81
4 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms 206.248.155.110
5 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms 206.248.155.109
6 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms gw-295ca.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.
78]
7 15 ms 16 ms 18 ms host-208-65-240-165.static.295.ca [208.65.240.16
5]

Itinéraire déterminé.

Able to send calls but not receive any...
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to marksy

to marksy

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy and FreePhoneLine.ca not working together

I use freephoneline without issue with an ASTERISK system on TSI.. I've noticed with more than one line, they seem to have locked out more than one connection per IP on the FPL end. voip.freephoneline.ca points to two different IP's in rotation. If I use voip.freephoneline.ca for all my lines, only one will work if it rotates. I don't want to post their ips on here, but if you use their IP instead of voip.freephoneline.ca it may fix your issue. This only seems to effect people with more than one account/line with FPL.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf

said by koreyb:

I use freephoneline without issue with an ASTERISK system on TSI.. I've noticed with more than one line, they seem to have locked out more than one connection per IP on the FPL end. voip.freephoneline.ca points to two different IP's in rotation. If I use voip.freephoneline.ca for all my lines, only one will work if it rotates. I don't want to post their ips on here, but if you use their IP instead of voip.freephoneline.ca it may fix your issue. This only seems to effect people with more than one account/line with FPL.

My client has only one line with freephoneline, her home phone, that's it. It was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. No problem or whatsoever registering, it's just inbound calls that she's not receiving whenever the ATA is behind any type of router. I even tried all freephoneline's IP addresses from 208.65.240.160 to 208.65.240.170 and they all have the same routing (and the same problem on my customer's end).
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

1 edit

Webslinger

Premium Member

I use Freephoneline without issue with Teksavvy.

The problems discussed have nothing to do with Teksavvy.

They have everything to do with ATAs and routers not being setup properly.

1) A number of Linksys ATA devices require you to port forward RTP Port Min and RTP Port Max (typically listed in the "SIP" tab of your ATA device) as a UDP port range in your router to your ATA device.

2) Additionally, the SIP port listed in the "Line 1" tab of your ATA device must also be port forwarded (UDP) to your ATA device from your router.

3) RTP packet size needs to be set to 0.020 on the "SIP" tab of the ATA device.

4) These values may also need to be set in the ATA device:

a)Ring Tone Frequency: 52
b)Ring Tone Voltage: 90

Those experiencing issues would be far better served (unless your internet connection and speedtests are horrible) to be posting at freephoneline's (Fogo's) forum instead.
Webslinger

Webslinger to Xuhum

Premium Member

to Xuhum
said by Xuhum:

I have a PAP2T-NA in-front of my router

There's no need for a switch if you have a good router and know what you're doing. It's fairly simple to assign static IPs. Also, your router's NAT firewall can help protect the ATA device (somewhat).