join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One

Re: [Other] DNS errors from The Shining

said by Wily_One:

To test if a DNS server is reachable:
telnet <ip-of-nameserver> 53

If you can make a connection, it tells you two things: 1) the name server is reachable on port 53, and 2) the name server is up and DNS is running.

If you cannot make a connection, could be any number of things, including a firewall somewhere is blocking port 53 or your ISP has no route, etc.

i have used telnet for mail servers and normally see text on the screen after a successful connection. i just tried telnet 8.8.8.8 53 and the cmd prompt was black/blank with a flashing cursor. i tried 8.8.8.23 assuming it was invalid and it times out.

success= flashing cursor

fail= connect fail reply in command prompt

is that accurate?

thanks.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

You must be trying telnet from Windows. The Windows telnet client is wonky, hiding any useful connection details that tells you if you've actually connected or not. But yes, a blinking cursor with no error means a successful connection, which means the port is both open and reachable from your client.

To compare, from a Unix/Linux telnet client I get:
$ telnet 8.8.8.8 53
Trying 8.8.8.8...
Connected to google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

$ telnet 4.2.2.1 53
Trying 4.2.2.1...
Connected to a.resolvers.level3.net (4.2.2.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

yup, using windows. i like seeing something, but good to know that nothing, in this case, is good.

i tried firing up putty, but all i get is a quick flash and the command box (putty) disappears.

i tried 8.8.8.8, raw, port 53 and clicked open.

thanks for the reply.