Xuhum
Premium Member
join:2007-10-05
Canada

Xuhum to marksy

Premium Member

to marksy

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy and FreePhoneLine.ca not working together

I have a PAP2T-NA in-front of my router, used to have it behind and it worked fine too but I figured in-front would be better with it's own IP.
This guide looks good »voipfan.net/ATAs/PAP2_fr ··· line.php
- NAT Mapping Enable: yes
- NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
being the most important, didn't need to port forward when I was behind but you can try forwarding port 5060.
To put it in-front I'm just using a switch.
My modem is SB6120.
marksy
join:2012-12-26
Whitby, ON

marksy

What do you mean you are using a switch. Just a 4 port?

So line from the modem to the switch, ATA and router into the switch?
Xuhum
Premium Member
join:2007-10-05
Canada

Xuhum

Premium Member

Yea, that's exactly what I'm doing.
Although when I want to have access to the ATA's GUI I have to plug it back into the router.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson to marksy

to marksy
You can get two IPs from a cable modem so that's why a switch in front of the router works. However I'd not do that unless nothing else works. First question is does the ATA web interface show registration? Is the problem that it looses reg after a period? Or one way audio etc?

You should never need port forwarding for an ATA. It's little different than your PC using NAT through the router except that it's UDP and in the old days NAT was troublesome with SIP. These days it shouldn't be a problem if the router firmware is reasonably new.

It's either a config issue at the ATA and/or router, or it's an issue at the provider. That's the free service you can use on an ATA with a one time fee right? I used to use the free service to bounce google voice off and forward to a real SIP account but that Alberta loophole has been closed recently so perhaps other things have changed.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

I used to use the free FPL client but that thing was bugging out so bad for whatever reason on my PC that I decided to cough up the $50 so I could use XLite instead. In my personal experience, XLite is easily 10X more reliable than FPL's in-house client.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

What hardware are you using?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by J E F F4:

What hardware are you using?

Router? WRT54GSv2 with Toastman Mini-IPv6 firmware.

For the SIP client, I'm using X-Lite 5 softphone on my PC.

While using a PC-based softphone is annoying when calls come in while the screen is locked out or off, I very much like being able to use my PC headset instead of an actual phone so looking for an ATA, IP-phone or WiFi-phone dropped off my priority list at least for now.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Okay, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if x-lite had hardware for connecting to the SIP. I'm still researching for ATA, not sure who sip hardware to buy. Seems that overall, buying your own hardware and configuring it, rather than having it shipped out configured already, is the better way.

Although I do have a MagicJackPlus for the second line, other than 90 minute time limits, it's been pretty flawless, although their billing is very odd. My phone stopped working, despite that I was charged $29 for the year -- turns out they didn't charge the $10 for the Canadian number, which I did separately.
marksy
join:2012-12-26
Whitby, ON

1 edit

marksy to vikingisson

to vikingisson
My modem is a Thomson DCM476
Router is a Linksys WRT54GS
ATA is a Linksys PAP2T with DD-WRT firmware

It was sporadic when I first hooked up the modem on Dec 20, but when I reset my ATA (on the advice of a FPL tech) is when I started getting no ringing and no service at all)

Before switching modems this service worked almost without issue for over 2 years......

I should also add, that my PAP2 ATA device registers and never fails registering with FPL, which is what makes this even more confusing and frustrating.

When I pick up either line, I get dial tone and can dial. From there though nothing happens......
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger to Xuhum

Premium Member

to Xuhum
said by Xuhum:

I have a PAP2T-NA in-front of my router

There's no need for a switch if you have a good router and know what you're doing. It's fairly simple to assign static IPs. Also, your router's NAT firewall can help protect the ATA device (somewhat).
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to Xuhum

to Xuhum
said by Xuhum:

I have a PAP2T-NA in-front of my router, used to have it behind and it worked fine too but I figured in-front would be better with it's own IP.
This guide looks good »voipfan.net/ATAs/PAP2_fr ··· line.php
- NAT Mapping Enable: yes
- NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
being the most important, didn't need to port forward when I was behind but you can try forwarding port 5060.
To put it in-front I'm just using a switch.
My modem is SB6120.

A switch is a really good idea.
You do NOT want your ATA to bottleneck the traffic going to your router.