join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita

Re: Wii U

said by captokita:

said by 88615298:

So far since the WiiU debuted the XBOX 360 and PS3 are still outselling it. What's going to happen to WiiU sales next year at this time when the "PS4" and "XBOX 720" come out?

Established bases at reduced prices ALWAYS outsell the new stuff. Guess what, when PS4 & 720 come out, 360 & PS3 will outsell them too, so what will you say then? Nintendo's sales will also see a spike at that time over the newcomers as well, as they will likely hold the cheapest pricepoint.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Nintendo like usual. Carry on......

Established systems outsell versus a new console's very first holiday season? No, they typically don't. The Wii U was supposed to be a hot holiday item and it simply wasn't. It did not live up to the sales expectations.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker

Premium Member

Out of curiosity, is the whole 360 and PS3 outselling the Wii U thing still being based off of Black Friday sales? If so, that's really not a fair comparison. Many retailers had discounted bundles for those consoles, whereas the Wii U had no deals at all except for simply existing (as should be expected, since it's a brand new console). I saw ridiculously cheap bundles on Amazon for the PS3, almost tempting enough to make me buy one. Several of my friends with Xbox 360s that were on the way out the door due to age/problems also used it as an opportunity to replace their existing consoles. The other flaw I saw with some of the sales comparisons was that in some cases they were comparing the full month of November for Xbox and PS3 to half a month for the Wii U (since it didn't launch until the 18th).

"In a span of four weeks of being on the market, Nintendo has sold over 1.8 million Wii U consoles. In that same amount of time, Microsoft sold 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles, and Sony shipped 540,000 PlayStation 3 consoles." (that's referring to launch, not a holiday sales comparison)

»gengame.net/2012/12/wii- ··· -launch/

I haven't seen any full sales data for the holiday season past the Black Friday stuff, and I'll be interested to. But the Wii U isn't performing nearly as dismally as some people here would like to make it out to be. I for one was glad that I was able to readily attain one online without it being in some stupid overpriced bundle like the 360 launch and PS3 launch were notorious for. Some people think that not being able to find a console on store shelves is some kind of badge of honor for the company selling it. I think it indicates that the company prepared poorly for the launch in the first place. Nintendo has been guilty of this in the past too. I think the Wii U had just the right amount of difficulty. It wasn't a guaranteed deal in stores, but it wasn't outright impossible to the point people be beating each other senseless to get one either.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

All I can say is I was at more than one store prior to Christmas and they had units on the shelf. For debut years for either the ps3 or 360 I cant say the same.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

All I can say is I was at more than one store prior to Christmas and they had units on the shelf. For debut years for either the ps3 or 360 I cant say the same.

Which ones? The Basic (White),or the Deluxe (Black)?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

"In a span of four weeks of being on the market, Nintendo has sold over 1.8 million Wii U consoles. In that same amount of time, Microsoft sold 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles, and Sony shipped 540,000 PlayStation 3 consoles." (that's referring to launch, not a holiday sales comparison)

Your data is off

WiiU Nov 24th-Dec 15th 1.817 million
PS3 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.797 million
360 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.865 million

of course the PS3 and 360 numbers aren't counting sales on the 24th like the WiiU.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by danawhitaker:

Your data is off

WiiU Nov 24th-Dec 15th 1.817 million
PS3 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.797 million
360 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.865 million

of course the PS3 and 360 numbers aren't counting sales on the 24th like the WiiU.

My data is for each of those console's launch windows, not this holiday season. I guess I didn't make that as clear as I meant to. Ergo, the number I linked was 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles in its first 4 weeks in 2005, and 540,000 PS3s whenever that launched. The Wii U sold more units in its 4 week launch window than the 360 or PS3 sold in their respective launch windows. Sony actually ended up only selling about half the number of PS3s they expected to within the first 4-5 months after launch, according to some articles I read.

Can you quote me the source on your numbers for the PS3 and 360 sales from November 25th to December 15th? I'm not doubting them, I just had trouble stumbling across them earlier when I was looking up information.

Something interesting I found was that in 2005, after the 360 launch, PS2 sales increased 48% in December 2005 compared to December 2004. So such trends aren't necessarily completely out of whack.