uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS

Thunderbirds are Gone - Gerry Anderson Dies

BBC reports that Gerry Anderson, creator of Joe 90, Supercar, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, UFO and Thunderbirds has died peacefully at the age of 83.

»youtu.be/6ifS2nP53Zs

»youtu.be/4-5GAY7JfWU

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

..and "Space 1999"

(Second series opening)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aUDqN6u4

»youtu.be/8jAlE_HLDj8

It is a shame that UFO didn't last longer.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot

Man, I was so confused when I first read the title. I thought it was Thunderbird as in Mozilla Thunderbird Email client. :s

I remember Thunderbirds, great show. Crazy puppet work.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to DKS

to DKS
R.I.P. I loved all that stuff as a kid.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to DKS

to DKS
Not only was he a pioneer of Supermarionation, he was also a pioneer in the field of special effects work. Derek Meddings cut his teeth with Gerry Anderson, and was responsible for the model work on many James Bond movies including GoldenEye, his last film before he died.

Today, everything is CGI, which is sad. Many of the models used in older science fiction movies and TV shows still look more realistic than most of the CGI crap we see today.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Got the Thunderbirds in Blu Ray awesome series.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AKj3Gl1E

dennilfloss
Liberal And Loving It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON

dennilfloss to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
His series were such a big part of growing up in the sixties.

NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

NCRGuy to DKS

to DKS
Best thing that came from Thunderbirds? Team America: World Police.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Gerry and Sylvia Anderson gave happiness to lots of folks.

I've watched a bunch of Space: 1999 episodes in the last few weeks. Still good stuff.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

R.I.P. I loved all that stuff as a kid.

When were these shows on TV?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

When were these shows on TV?

»www.imdb.com/name/nm0026755/
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Some Space:1999 fans may not be aware of the fan-produced "Message from Moonbase Alpha" which explained what happened to all the people, 20 years later:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 6XjsS7Bs

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

..and "Space 1999"

That was a pretty bad show. I'd remember watching it if nothing else on, but it certainly wasn't "must see" for this kid.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Regrettably, it's the old style "monster" stories that pretty much killed it. Star Trek had already demonstrated that not all alien creatures had to be hostile, and everyone could work together. If Space 1999 had worked that angle a bit better, the series could have spun off a few multi-episode story arcs.

Still, the special effects were extremely well made for a TV show, and the Eagles had the advantage of being a feasible design for the environment of the moon.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Furniture and fixtures as well, most of the stuff was high end Italian.

Ian, whole premise of the show was bad I freely admit it; magnetic radiation which makes people go insane, causes spontaneous fusion in fissile material, then sends the moon floating off (intact despite some sort of formidable explosion) through a blackhole and into the vast distances of outer space, yet managed to come across some other planet, ship or thing every episode. Still was fun to watch however.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
His former partner and former wife, Sylvia Anderson, has not written one word of condolence.

Her website is up-to-date (with Christmas greetings and wishes for a happy 2013) yet she could not post one nice word about Gerry.

»www.sylviaanderson.org.u ··· ews.html

And in fact, it was she who kept Gerry away from their son, for the son's entire childhood. They reconciled later on.

This does not make you look good, Sylvia.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007

Premium Member

As far as I can tell, Gerry Anderson isn't even mentioned anywhere on her site. She credits herself with "co-creating" and "co-writing" these shows but never mentions who the other partner was. Very crass.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Wolfie007:

As far as I can tell, Gerry Anderson isn't even mentioned anywhere on her site. She credits herself with "co-creating" and "co-writing" these shows but never mentions who the other partner was. Very crass.

I gather they did not have the best of relationships.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
My brother still has the 2.5 foot long Eagle from Space:1999. Even has the box, but it is not sealed, it was played used.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
I am not so sure, the statement references a show that was back in mid October and the rest of it appears to have been written shortly after, the well wishes and such are all forward looking. There is no recent activity on her forum, and the only new stuff is a handful of comments in the guest book about Gerry’s death.

Seems like a page which is infrequently updated and was mainly used as a promotional platform for her book.