spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Dell optiplex GX620 SFF bad caps, Suggestions or help.

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hello all, Doing my monthly dust cleaning of my desktop i noticed my system is suffering from bulging caps & one that spewed its electrolytic guts but the computer is running fine. Ive had absolutely no problems with this system at all. Running Win 7 enterprise 32Bit. Its my daily computer. usually runs a decent size load of tasks & lots of video processing.

i don't live under a rock, i knew about the bad caps going around but didn't have the time to deal with dell & their bogus customer service so it simply fell through the cracks and now im kicking myself!!

What can i do to get by with this computer until i can afford to purchase another system? can i still get it fixed? I really love this computer its been more reliable than the sun its a shame.

I installed speed fan & have the fan cranking 24-7 now to help with the heat.. any other suggestions?

Processor is a Pentium D if that helps put some more paint on the picture.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

You have 2 choices:
a) replace bad caps
b) do nothing and just continue to use it

For a), you want to have prior experince since learning to solder on a good, albeit slightly obsolete mobo is probably not the best idea.

Even if you have somne experience, there is always some risk when you replace them, so my suggestion is, unless you have some experience with soldering, just leave everything as-is. It could die within a week, but it could work for years.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Keefer21

You'll need a decent solder sucker in order to get those caps out...
I've done a number of MB at work.... Attempting to do this without a decent solder sucker will be an exercise in frustration!!! (I pre-tin the leads with fresh solder, before attempting sucking them clean, too!)

P.S. I've come across MB labeled both ways: Banded can mean Negative OR Positive.... Determine which you have, and match it!!

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Keefer21

Hilton, NY
reply to Keefer21

Thanks for the replies, I don't think ill even pretend to have the confidence to attempt re capping the board but thanks for the good info, I cant screw it up because at the moment its my only machine and i don't have the cash to drop on a comparable, even flea bay machine with the holidays draining my pockets!

Just looking for suggestions on how to make it last as long as it can.

Just an hour ago i finally was able to speak to someone who knew what i was talking about at dell with the recalls for the bad caps & was a little embarrassed to find out that the whole process ended in 2008.. LOL whoops...

All the research on the net has lead me to believe i should be counting my blessings that its still a speedy stable machine. I cant exactly say when it happened but sometime within the last few or so weeks because i religiously clean the heat sink since the machine has a horrible habit of caking absurd amounts of dust on the front air intake which drives me crazy!

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Keefer21

Not why you included the statement "Bogus Dell Customer Service".

I my experiences with Dell CS I have had nothing but good service.
Since that is a Business model Dell may have even issued a recall on it to fix the problem with the Caps. They do do that. Unlike some other manufacturers, Like Apple.

Depending on the age of that system, have no idea when the 620 models came out, you might want to contact Dell or at least have a look at their support site for possible recall.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
reply to Keefer21

Looking at that ribbon cable brings me back to my old Compaq Presario and my first custom build days. Thanks for the flashback, lol!

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC
reply to Keefer21

said by Keefer21:

Thanks for the replies, I don't think ill even pretend to have the confidence to attempt re capping the board but thanks for the good info, I cant screw it up because at the moment its my only machine and i don't have the cash to drop on a comparable, even flea bay machine with the holidays draining my pockets!

I had caps go bad on a Dell PWS 530 a couple of years ago and found a business-oriented repair/service company that had convenient drop-off locations and seemed very professional. Was very pleased with the results. Maybe you would be similarly lucky.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to Keefer21

Why don't you call Dell, and ask if there is a company policy covering this....

What can you lose????
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Keefer21

Hilton, NY
reply to RWild

Thats a great idea actually, didn't think about that! thanks for reminding me im sure there is a good place around here!