spc
uniqs

AZ_OGM
join:2007-01-12
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

AZ_OGM to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: [NFL] Sanchez Benched, Tebow heading to CFL?

How would Tebow handle the Arena League? I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned. Granted he won't have a huge NFL salary, but playing is better than being a bench warmer.
Another option that would have been perfect for him would be NFL Europe if it was still around. I could picture squeaky clean Tebow having to play in Amsterdam.

Edit to add NFL Europe.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yeah, the NFL is really weird in that there isn't a developmental "minor" league system. NFL Europe actually worked pretty well, and a number of very serviceable NFL players (some even "great") got the in game reps needed to perfect their skill. I just don't understand how a guy can work so hard to get to the NFL and then just sit on a bench.

Could you imagine the spin off benefits to having a spring developmental league in tier II markets? But then, the NFL kind of expect college ball, Arena Football, and the CFL to do that for them I suppose.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to AZ_OGM

Premium Member

to AZ_OGM
Don't forget his weakness is in two related but separate issues.

1. His current lack of technique or ability to properly throw the ball.

2. Learning all the skills of playing the position of a passing QB at a high level--both the mental and physical.

He would never succeed as a passer in the NFL, CFL, Arena League, until he masters the purely physical coordinated mechanical art of throwing the ball.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

capdjq

Premium Member

All Tebow has done is try to be a good person and play football. That’s it. Two things. But that is too much for football people to grasp.

I never watched him play College Ball but after having read up on his career, for an athlete who cannot play QB he has some impressive stats.

Awards and Honors:
2007 AP Player of the Year Award
2007 Consensus All-America
2007 Davey O'Brien Award
2007 Heisman Memorial Trophy
2007 Maxwell Award
2008 Manning Award
2008 Maxwell Award
2008 SEC Offensive Player of the Year

Passing Efficiency Rating:
2007 NCAA 172.5 (2nd)
2007 SEC 172.5 (1st)
2008 NCAA 172.4 (4th)
2008 SEC 172.4 (1st)
2009 NCAA 164.2 (1st)
2009 SEC 164.2 (1st)
Career NCAA* 170.8 (2nd)
Career SEC* 170.8 (1st)

The other QBs must have been awful.

In 2008, Tebow led his team to victory in the BSC National Championship game and was named the winner of a host of athletic awards.

In 2011-2012 NFL Season, much to the horror of Fox and Elway(this makes me laugh), this "terrible QB" led the Broncos to 1st place in the AFC West, and even beat the mighty Steelers in a play off game.
As a reward he was traded to the worst managed team in the World, the NY Jets. The current QB Mark Sanchez managed to, singlehandedly, play himself out of a job and the third string QB, a Player who never threw a ball last year and yet criticized the team, got the position. He had a memorable debut, losing to the fumbling, bumbling SD Chargers.

Yet we have a QB, who had successful seasons all through his career sitting on the bench.

This reminds me of an old saying, "If you lick they kick". Its about time Tebow started to kick.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

With all the things that Tebow has accomplished, it really is amazing that no team in the NFL wants to run him out there and see if he'll turn into a good pro. Jacksonville drafted Gabbert way too high and gave him the team way too early, and Gabbert never took a snap from center in his college career. Yet no one questioned whether he'd be a good pro. He had to play himself out of a job. With Tebow, it's the opposite.

Tebow's throwing motion is a red herring. I've seen QBs like Billy Kilmer that threw wounded ducks more often than not find a way to win. The whole situation reminds me of Doug Flutie. The guy won when he got a chance, yet the NFL coaches were simply afraid to play him because he wasn't a prototype and they wouldn't open themselves up to criticism. They'd rather play it safe and lose.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

With all the things that Tebow has accomplished, it really is amazing that no team in the NFL wants to run him out there and see if he'll turn into a good pro. Jacksonville drafted Gabbert way too high and gave him the team way too early, and Gabbert never took a snap from center in his college career. Yet no one questioned whether he'd be a good pro. He had to play himself out of a job. With Tebow, it's the opposite.

Tebow's throwing motion is a red herring. I've seen QBs like Billy Kilmer that threw wounded ducks more often than not find a way to win. The whole situation reminds me of Doug Flutie. The guy won when he got a chance, yet the NFL coaches were simply afraid to play him because he wasn't a prototype and they wouldn't open themselves up to criticism. They'd rather play it safe and lose.

I agree. Tebow found ways to win. And he deserves to be on a team that will let him do that. And it isn't the Jets.
FFH5

FFH5

Premium Member

Jets are still screwed up. Their previous 3rd string QB McElroy ,who started the last game, hid a concussion from medical staff all week until today and now he can't start the next game. So what do the Jets do? Pull Sanchez off the bench instead of playing Tebow. Sanchez will start Sunday. Ryan is an idiot. When the season ends, he should be fired.

»msn.foxsports.com/nfl/st ··· n-122712

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Good grief. What a mess.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
The POS Ryan still being head coach of the Jets is the main reason why I will never again support the Jets organization....and I go back to when guys by the name of Namath, Maynard, Snell, Boozer, Schmitt etc were playing.

Ryan is full of shit as well as the most over rated head coach in the NFL..

I believe the character and words of Tim Tebow before I will ever believe Rex "Go Fuck Yourself" Ryan

Here's what Tebow had to say.

»www.nydailynews.com/spor ··· .1227649

Moorecards
join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV

Moorecards to footballdude

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Totally agree .. and me being a long time Redskins fan, you are correct. Kilmer threw some of the worst passes in the history of football but some how they got to the rec and he found a way to win .. Give Tebow a chance, that is all he is asking for . I don't blame Denver though. They had a chance to get and ended up with Maniing .. but what the Jets did with Tebow is terrible ..

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to sailor

Premium Member

to sailor
said by sailor:

Here's what Tebow had to say.

»www.nydailynews.com/spor ··· .1227649

Y'know, it's okay for a "team first" guy to say Put Me in Coach. Tebow has a desire to play and win, and frankly, at this point, he has every right in the world to demand it. He's never been given anything that might even closely resemble a fair shot at playing. It would be as if the Islanders asked John Tavares to only play on the penalty kill as a defenceman.