uniqs
share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to NytOwl

Re: [Cable] Reason for no Static IP Availability for Cable Inter

What's a static IP? Having the same IP for a long period of time/forever (theoretically).

What does my method achieve? The same IP for 2-3+ years if not longer (I switched from Rogers to TSI when I finally lost it). I'll leave it to the OP to decide
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
said by d4m1r:

What's a static IP? Having the same IP for a long period of time/forever (theoretically).

What does my method achieve? The same IP for 2-3+ years if not longer (I switched from Rogers to TSI when I finally lost it). I'll leave it to the OP to decide

I would say an IP that does not change in any unplanned manner and does not change because of some network related event(s) or replacement of equipment. With cable and DHCP that is likely to happen.

No, your "method" is a gamble at best. It will not guarantee you have the same IP for any particular period of time. With TSI you're a lot less likely to have the same IP for any extended period of time at all. I've been with TSI and through a variety of events I've had at least 5 IP address changes in 3 years. .e.g. node splitting, upstream/downstream channel bonding being enabled, cable network outages, router malfunction incident, etc.