uniqs

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to neonhomer

to neonhomer

Re: [Tech] Shock selection

You're venturing down the wrong path if all you are going to compare is shock body length. You need to be sure things like valving rates, piston/chamber design and capacity are taken into account. Shocks are not designed generically, they are very much application-specific. That is important for performance and safety issues of course, as well as tire longevity.

I would look to a reputable aftermarket supplier such as Ranch and get a properly sized shock for the vehicle model and lift you are dealing with.

gillespie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
USA

gillespie

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

You're venturing down the wrong path if all you are going to compare is shock body length. You need to be sure things like valving rates, piston/chamber design and capacity are taken into account. Shocks are not designed generically, they are very much application-specific. That is important for performance and safety issues of course, as well as tire longevity.

I would look to a reputable aftermarket supplier such as Ranch and get a properly sized shock for the vehicle model and lift you are dealing with.

+1

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by gillespie:

said by mattmag:

+1

+2

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
At this time, I don't have the funds to spend $200-300 in shocks... or more....

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Well then in that case I would just hold on and wait until you are financially able to do it correctly. There just isn't any good reason to throw good money into something that isn't going to perform properly or safely, and then have to do it all over again the right way later. Times are tough, and you don't want to regret being hasty here.