All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
rockrock
join:2012-06-11
Duluth, GA

rockrock

Re: [Speed Issues] Bad packet loss with traceroutes, pings, etc

Today, can't even ping google at first. I cannot believe the entire customer base of Charter isn't in revolt.

C:\Users\John>ping -t google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.140.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=48
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=48
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=48
Reply from 74.125.140.100: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 74.125.140.100:
Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 8, Lost = 4 (33% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 10ms

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

I live about half way between Duluth & Lawrenceville, and my service comes from the Duluth center, but I haven't been having any of the problems you've seen recently. It does sound like your specific location is oversold/overloaded.

Hope the outage mentioned, means they are working on an upgrade as mentioned and it will soon be resolved.
kruser
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO

kruser to rockrock

Premium Member

to rockrock
said by rockrock:

Today, can't even ping google at first. I cannot believe the entire customer base of Charter isn't in revolt.

It's because it is only you having the problem!

Just kidding.
Sorry I did not get back earlier but the signal stats you posted look fine so that should indicate your inside wiring is ok and the problem lie out on Charter's network.

Charter did split the node that served my apartment complex a few years ago. That made a big difference in my evening speeds.
I still did not have the problems you are seeing though, I only saw greatly reduced speeds during the peak hours like after school let out into the early evenings. As people would shut down for the night, my speeds came back up to the plans speeds.

When the person had the noisy amplifier on my side of the node, that is when I saw the same problem you are seeing.
I don't really know how they fix that but I assume they start unhooking splits after the node and slowly trace the noise back to the source. I guess they disconnect that customer if they cannot gain access to fix the problem right then. This actually happened twice here. One time the noise was traced to a guy that did not subscribe to Charter's services at all. The tech that fixed it made it sound like the guy was trying to use an amp in an attempt to bring back the signal that the mechanical RF filter was supposed to remove when you only have internet. The guy lived here in my apartment complex. The tech told me he put an end on the cable that needs a special tool for removal before the line can be reconnected.
I'm not sure if they use the HSI only filters today but they basically only allowed the frequencies through that were needed for the internet so an internet only customer could not just hookup a cable ready tv and get the basic stuff for free.
In that case, the hookup was still there from a prior tenant and the new guy was trying to steal cable tv.

I found out my cable was always hooked up here since before I moved in. I had (still do) DSL but wanted cable so I bought a modem after I placed the order for cable internet. They scheduled a tech to come do the install but I'd hooked the modem up prior so it was all ready. I was surprised when it synced up.
The install tech came a couple days later and shrugged his shoulders and said "this was an easy one"! He said that was very common in this areas apartments that lines do not get disconnected when a customer moves out. He did check the signal levels and all was good so he was only here maybe 10 minutes.

I've read that Charter is going too or has shutdown all the in the clear QAM channels and analog channels so they will no longer need the old filters or physical cable lock ends as you will now need a box even for the basics. Every TV will need a box. I'm sure that change probably pissed a few customers off that only needed a QAM tuner for their basic subs and they had wall mounted sets with the cable fished in from behind the set. They will now need to find a way to get the cable to a box first and then back to the TV. So much for a nice and tidy basic box-less install.

Anyway, good luck in getting your issue resolved. Post back if they tell you what the problem was.

The techs around here are usually pretty sharp guys but of course their headquarters was located here also. Not sure if that made a difference or not though.
They are moving (already moved?) corporate headquarters but I think the huge technical complex they also have here will remain. The two were located a few miles apart.