share rss forum feed

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 edit
reply to JohnILM

Re: Update my location via IP address

ip geolocation relies on databases that are not always updated
html5 geolocation works much better since it analyzes your net traffic to find location
or crowd sourcing

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by dm145:

ip geolocation relies on databases that are not always updated
html5 geolocation works much better since it analyzes your net traffic to find location
or crowd sourcing

Not only the fact that the golocation databases may not be updated but that there are more than one and they may not be in sync (or up-to-date). I have checked my IPN against 3 of them and none match (or correctly identify my location). One claims I am in Stamford Connecticut, one on Long Island (at CV Headquarters), and one says I am in Mahwah NJ (which is where my local Headend is). My actual location is in Suffern NY (right over the border from Mahwah). Thus I am willing to say the Mahwah location is "accurate". OTOH, I have been messed up by the NJ as opposed to NY claim by a site that has locked my out due to "being in NJ" while it would have been accessible if it had been informed that I was in NY.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to dm145
Is there a way to have my live tiles update via html5 rather than ip address?

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
dm145's statement is a bit misleading.
"html5 geolocation" is an inaccurate term.
What he meant to say is that some web apps can now access your system's 'location' service, which in term can be as accurate as real GPS.
If your computer doesn't have real working GPS and/or Win8's live tile doesn't access that, there's nothing you can do other than just manually punching in your zipcode or town/city name.
See »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···937.aspx
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

one says I am in Mahwah NJ (which is where my local Headend is). My actual location is in Suffern NY

I don't see how any IP address database could be better than that. There's no way for them to know where beyond the head-end the user is actually located. An individual IP address could be distributed anywhere in the head-end's coverage area.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to MxxCon
Apple devices also use WiFi access point readings for location services. It's eerily accurate.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
It's not "apple devices" themselves that do triangulation. Your devices report which wifi they see and Apple's servers figure out your location.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by RARPSL:

one says I am in Mahwah NJ (which is where my local Headend is). My actual location is in Suffern NY

I don't see how any IP address database could be better than that. There's no way for them to know where beyond the head-end the user is actually located. An individual IP address could be distributed anywhere in the head-end's coverage area.

I agree. I also stated that I was willing to accept the Mahwah "location" as accurate. The problem is that depending on which database the site uses, it can be told a totally inaccurate location (the Connecticut or Long Island one in my case). As to your suggestion that there can be no more granular location than the head-end's location, I do not agree (at least technically). Just because the head-end services multiple areas (Mahwah NJ and Suffern NY in this case) does not preclude having separate IPN blocks for the two cities. When my modem's MAC address is presented to the DHCP server, it is looked up and is used to select Block1 or Block2. Since the modem must be registered, the registration can include an indication of which IPN block to use. So long as the database lists a unique location for each block, you can get more accurate location information. I acknowledge that this split method can cause problems with node splits as well as IPN address allocations. Once you have more Suffern customers than there are IPNs in the Suffern block you must create an additional Suffern block even if there are still available Mahwah addresses that could have been used.

Note that this analysis is simplistic but I think it can serve to show the principle.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Yes, but I don't see any reason an ISP would go through such troubles.

Which source placed you in Mahwah?

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
said by Bob4:

Yes, but I don't see any reason an ISP would go through such troubles.

Which source placed you in Mahwah?

Normally the location lookup is due to an Ad related Page (meet people local to you SPAM).

As to which source (correctly) placed me in Mahwah, there was thread here recently which griped but being locked out of access due to being erroneously located. In one of the replies there were 3 geolocation URLs. I used each and got the 3 different results.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RARPSL
CMTS' are not broken up strictly by geographic region within the area the head end services. Because DHCP has ranges set specific to a server (which is specific to a CMTS), and the IP address can be assigned to another user in a totally different area fed by Mahwah, it isn't really possible to do better than head end location in a CV-provided geolocation lookup. A node split shoudn't cause any more problems than the new leases picked up daily by devices.