Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to hm

Premium Member

to hm

Re: Info: Length of time Canadian ISPs retain IP address logs

said by hm :

Quite frankly, how are people suppose to know stuff if things are kept secret or the ISP owner refuses to answer (you are not in this boat).

Absolutely and I would not be surprised if the CRTC expanded their review on something like the 'wireless code of conduct' to all telecommunications providers in the future.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by rocca:

said by hm :

Quite frankly, how are people suppose to know stuff if things are kept secret or the ISP owner refuses to answer (you are not in this boat).

Absolutely and I would not be surprised if the CRTC expanded their review on something like the 'wireless code of conduct' to all telecommunications providers in the future.

Yup.

Also, I just may try and involve the CRTC after new years as well as Privcom. Privcom stated on many occasions that the CRTC is just as involved in all this as they are and are in complimentary roles. Privcom also stated the CRTC has more power than they do when it comes down to the privacy aspect of telecom.

So I have a lot of questions to ask them after new years. Now it's all a matter of who I get on the phone.
Who7
join:2012-12-18

1 edit

Who7 to rocca

to rocca

said by rocca See Profile

Which of course would take it out of the political sphere. As a Conservative supporter, I can $cream in con$ervative ears...but absolutely vacuum in CRTC ears.

Big mistake was not limiting damages to simple loss of commercial value. I can see where someone downloaded a $5000 piece of software or an entire library of movies would pay the piper, but hardly a $1 business model to a 12 year old downloading a tune.

Of course, if the courts only award $100 damages, you can do something about that by charging $200 per IP for "administration".

Worse yet, politics being what it is, the next government will just leave it in place and blame the other guy.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Logs? What logs? We don't keep logs as it is just another server to have to maintain.
Who7
join:2012-12-18

Who7

Back on topic......

That's it? All we can come up with is info on three providers?
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

I already told you why would an isp want to divulge this info to you voluntarily. It only empowers you. That's the last thing they want. They want you to be a sheep, part of the herd. You know..

If it gets bad enough I'll just drop off the net and use anon wifi everywhere.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Riplin:

I already told you why would an isp want to divulge this info to you voluntarily. It only empowers you. That's the last thing they want. They want you to be a sheep, part of the herd. You know..

If it gets bad enough I'll just drop off the net and use anon wifi everywhere.

Actually, according to PIPEDA, they don't have a choice in the matter. They have to not only provide the answers on how long they store your personal information, but also have to show it to you if you request them to do so.....
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to hm

to hm
said by hm :

Yup.

Also, I just may try and involve the CRTC after new years as well as Privcom.

Good luck with that. The CRTC proved how useless they are again last night when CBC could find the Air Duct Cleaning scammers in Karachi and they couldn't

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Riplin:

said by hm :

Yup.

Also, I just may try and involve the CRTC after new years as well as Privcom.

Good luck with that. The CRTC proved how useless they are again last night when CBC could find the Air Duct Cleaning scammers in Karachi and they couldn't

As far as I know, Canadian ISP's aren't in Karachi, Pakistan. Again, as far as I know. Though with some of the horror stories we see here, and Ebox's non-existent privacy policy, it wouldn't surprise me

Started writing it up a couple of days ago. Matter of finding time to add more and finish up.